• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First webcam attempt

Started by spendrey, Feb 26, 2004, 21:26:00

Previous topic - Next topic

spendrey

Hello,
I made my first attempt at astrophotography last night with a Philips Toucam and an ancient 4.5" Tasco. I managed to record 300 frames of Jupiter with a 2x barlow and am currently struggling with Registax to try and process them. Obviously I'm not holding out much hope of stunning images because of my feeble excuse of a telescope but it's all good fun.
Quick question though, I'm used to seeing the 4 main moons of Jupiter but last night I counted at least 6 objects around it, what could the other 2 have been? Does Jupiter have 2 other moons of a similar size that I am unaware of?
Also, take a look at my new website... http://www.skywatcher.co.uk Hopefully I'll be posting my images here once I've mastered the technique.

Regards,
Simon.

Mike

The other 2 objects would have been stars. You won't see any more than 4 moons of Jupiter unless you have a huge scope.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan