• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

OK Another lappy problem...... :-(

Started by JohnP, Nov 30, 2009, 20:36:19

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Just seems weird that it works perfectly plugged in but reboots on battery... I am fairly confident battery is good because as Mac suggested it will sit there happily for a few hours in BIOS Setup (so it must be getting charged & be able to provide power) - so it has to be something in windows that it trys to do when I use battery - so far as I can see I can't see any error logs (I checked events windows) it just like I press the Power OFF button Off & then back ON. It'll reboot in windows but then after a min or so it does it again....

Damned if I know - Just frustrating not being able to use laptop without mains cable dangling out of it all the time...

I'll keep trying - Is it possible to boot into windows safe mode & then turn things on one at a time...? Just a thought

John

mickw

Oh oh - bad feeling time.
My laptop went tits up after my marathon youtube viewing (remember the football?) although my laptop just took forever to boot.
Apparently there are some issues with youtube and versions of Flash and/or Java.

How about removing Flash and Java ?

Here's a link that may help
http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/internet-explorer-forum/242606-solved-flash-youtube-problems-yet-again.html
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

14 hours & thinking of reverting back to old drive :o
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Ohhh I think I may have made some progress......

Been trying loads of things today to sort out my reboot problem... Don't know why but just had a thought that issue might be with the point device on my laptop so I plugged in an external mouse & pulled out mains lead & so far it has been working on batteries for 40mins...!!!!!!!! Don't know if it is coincidental but it seems to be working. If that is the case then problem must somehow be linked to pointing device on my laptop... Any ideas???? Maybe IRQ or something. The pointing device on the laptop is still active so plugging mouse in hasn't disabled it.....

Strange... any ideas

mickw

What does unplugging the mouse do ?

mickw

Quotereverting back to old drive................

Fay you're so transparent........................

Any excuse to get a new camera  ;)

JohnP

QuoteWhat does unplugging the mouse do ?

Mick - it's working at the moment - can't force myself to unplug it just in case goes wrong again......

Seriously though good idea - I will try it & report back...

John

Mike

Can you disable the touchpad in the Bios?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

John is your system date and time correct ?

Your laptop "pointing device" is hardware and probably via BIOS so if the MB battery is knackered, the laptop may forget about the pointing device.
Your mouse will probably be driven by the OS.

Just thoughts - not an expert.

Fay

You sound really clever Mick!

So, why is my Canon using port 7 in DSLR Focus, when it is already used by bluetooth. Also when I try to go to another available port, eg6, it is still on 7 & does not change?

My Canon is not responding to anything, was this morning but no more.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Fay, you are so silly.......
It's because it's broken  :roll:

Try disabling bluetooth, at least while imaging.

(Not clever, just good at clutching at straws  :oops:)

JohnP

Ok few more updates....

I unplugged external mouse while on battery & computer immediately rebooted?... I'm now thinking maybe it is something to do with having a device plugged in USB port?

Mike yes I can disable on board pointing device via BIOS but this will do it for both battery & mains - I actually use the on board pointing device a lot so dont want to disable it..

I have reinstalled Mick's 'memory module' & still working Ok..

Like I say it just seems to like having something plugged in USB when on battery....

John

mickw

Out of curiosity, does the laptop just like a USB mouse plugged in or is it anything USB - eg memory stick.

No idea what this will prove, but it's more info, plus it might be easier to "deal with".

JohnP

blimey Mick - you keep giving me all these intelligent tests to try....! I will plug my memory stick in next time in the same port as the USB mouse & see if that works...

Thks,  John

mickw

Try stuff in different ports also, you might have a duff port.

Quotegiving me all these intelligent tests
I think I have had just the right amount of beer - It's all downhill from here  ;)