• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Windows Genuine Notification...

Started by JohnP, Dec 02, 2009, 19:16:43

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Since we have been having lots of computer related issues recently just wondering if anyone knows an easy & fool proof way to remove the WGN. I haven't actually installed the prog yet it's just every time I log on I keep getting a box coming up telling me to install it.... I think it downloaded as part of keeping windows current (which I have now disabled).. There are several methods on web but I'd rather use one that perhaps one of you can say works...

I have nothing wrong with the version of XP on my PC & have licences to prove it just dont like the idea of Microsoft downloading info off my PC....

Cheers,  John

Ian

just click the box underneath that says something like, "do not mention this update again"...

JohnP

Ian,

Dont have that option - it is actually trying to run the installation wizard.. see below: All I do is click red X to close... would prefer to get rid of it though.

Mac

got control pannel open automatic updates.
click on the download them but let me choose when to install them.

open windows explorer
open tools folder options
goto view

untick hide protected operating files
select show hidden files and folders

goto c:\windows
delete all the folders that start with $Ntuninstall
these are the automatic updates.

restart windows and it will redownload the updates.
then when it gives you the update icon on the task bar select advance
and just untick the windows genuine notification

It wont install that one.

Mac.

Simon E

Yep I have had this one in the past, a right pain, as if any of us would dodgy copies of Windows :twisted:

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Ian

wot mac sez.

my technique stops it from being downloaded in the first place...

JohnP

Cheers guys will try & let you know if it works.... According to online solutions though it is more tricky to get rid of.....

lets see - thks again,  John