• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

OK Another lappy problem...... :-(

Started by JohnP, Nov 30, 2009, 20:36:19

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

My laptop hasn't worked on battery for about 2 years so I figured I'd treat it to a new one after finding one for a reasonable price...

Well arrived today - plugged in & charged however, when I unplug mains one of two things happens:

1. Sometimes computer freezes after about 30secs... mouse wont move etc.. only option is to press & hold in power ON?OFF button to do reset...

2. Computer works for about 1 min & then reboots....

Anyone got any ideas.....?

Be a bit pee'd off spending £35 on new battery if I cant get it working.....

Works fine no problem if plugged into mains.

Thks a lot - John

Mac

has your pc got a battery monitor built in to the bios?
Might need resetting.

Or, what are the setting for switching to battery in the control panel?
Might be worth checking those as it might be set to shut down or similar.

Failing that dont use the battery  :lol:

You might want to see if it is a windows problem or indeed a pc problem.

turn on your pc and enter the bios.
leave the pc on, it should run for quite a few hours on just the bios screen.
before running out of battery power.

If it does then its more then lightly a windows problem.

Just my s worth

Mac

JohnP

cheers Mac- Like your idea for booting into bios on battery - will try that & see how long it lasts.. Thks mate.. John.

JohnP

OK bit of progress. Pulled out mains & computer froze (i.e. couldn't move mouse) even ctrl-alt-del didn'twork only option is to press & hold in power on button.... however, before I did this computer happily stayed in frozen state for 15mins before I reset so battery obviosuly working. When I rebooted with mains in it started charging again...

So I guess it must be windows causing it to crash or reboot when it goes onto battery.. I checked BIOS & that looks OK. I might try removing thinkpad battery & power management prog from windows....

Any other ideas appreciated - John

Ian

John, I think it's a power management issue in Windows. Have you tried booting it up on the battery? I'd also drop into the bios and see if there's anything odd about the power management settings as well.

Just for kicks, if all that looks OK, swap the two memory simms over in their slots. If something else stops working, then it *might* be a memory problem.

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Pulled out mains & computer froze

Excellent - sounds like your Peltier cooling is working a treat!

JohnP

Grrrrrrrr...... don't wind me up this is really starting to piss me off.......!!!!!!

funny though...  :lol:

mickw

John, try removing that extra memory

Didn't you say it was a different speed to the one you had installed ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Simon E

Quote from: Ian on Nov 30, 2009, 23:15:43
John, I think it's a power management issue in Windows. Have you tried booting it up on the battery? I'd also drop into the bios and see if there's anything odd about the power management settings as well.

Just for kicks, if all that looks OK, swap the two memory simms over in their slots. If something else stops working, then it *might* be a memory problem.
Surely if there was a memory problem with the PC it would bleep at you on boot up.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Simon E

What would I do in this situation, I would probably reinstall XP, or whatever operating system that you have. Coping off all useful files first. Because one can waste a lot of time second guessing the problem, trying to work out if it is Bios, Hardware, dry joints etc etc.

If you reinstall the operating system then delete all the partitions, format new partition and reinstall XP... At least if this is done, you will get all the standard setup settings for XP to start with. If it fails then, it is totally pointing towards a hardware issue. Memory, harddisk, motherboard etc etc.

I have a the same sort of problem with one of my laptops, 2 years ago i spilt Hot choc over it. I had to wait 3 weeks for it to dry out. But it did work eventually. The unit then worked for 2 years fine until recently, ie i have started to get memory read errors, exception errors etc etc. So I reinstalled XP again and PC worked ok for a couple of days, but has started running slow again. So in conclusion, this is either a memory, harddisk, or motherboard problem. So will start swapping out each one individually to see what the problem is.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

JohnP

OK - update as follows:

1. I removed newly installed memory & still have problem.... :-( so obvious memory is not issue...
2. I think the problem may have happened a year or so ago. Basically, a year back I noticed my computer was getting progressively worse on battery (down to age) - I remember it lasting less than 30mins on battery then one day I went to use it & it started rebotting after a few mins. I put it down to battery being totally knackered. So for last year or so been using on mains only. I figured new battery would solve problem but it hasn't so must be another issue...
3. Simon - computer has WinXP Pro on it but this came pre-installed. I do not have backup/ original disc.
4. I have had this laptop since new & used it for work/ pleasure for 4 1/2 yrs so disc is absolutely full of tons of stuff - incl just about every astro prog I have used. Whilst I dont mind reformatting I'd rather not as it would take me weeks to put everything back...

I will start some back ups now (just in case)

I guess given age of computer I either need to live with it & use mains only or think about getting a replacement...

John

Simon E

I have all the XP cd's that you would need, just need to use your licence. Backup is always a good idea, that's why I have a server and a laptop for doubling up on storage.

The server i run has 7 hard disks in it, where i store various things, ie: the c:/boot partition only contains the operating system,  1xhard disk for films, one for music, one for pictures etc etc, so if the c: drive crashes i only lose the op system not all the data.

I also have 2 x 500g media drives containing all my DVD's, which plug straight into the computer or tv via HDMi I also have backups of all my mp3's on the ipod and seperate hard disk on the server etc.

The laptop is purely for dealing with astrophotography and scope control, so really is a dedicated laptop.

si

JohnP

Thks Si - I have sent you a pm... John

Mac

QuoteWhat would I do in this situation, I would probably reinstall XP, or whatever operating system that you have. Coping off all useful files first. Because one can waste a lot of time second guessing the problem

Nice idea Simon, but what happens when you do all of this and the problem is still there?

I'd rather spend a few hours tracking the problem down to prove one way or other where the problem is, rather then spend 8 or 9 hours reinstalling xp and asscoiated software,
Only to find it was a hardware problem, been there, done that and bought the T Shirt.

ps. ask Fay  :cheesy: i've spent quite a few hours trying to get her old camera to be installed as a camera and not a garden bench.
In the end we had to re-install windows, so far thats taken over 9 hours!!.

Mac

mickw

If a formatted XP HD was shoved in Johns lappy, would it work ?
I know it won't be happy because most of the drivers will be wrong, but would it run and could it update relevant drivers?

I have an HD installed in this -
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=5209.0
It only has XP installed, bugger all else of use.

If this is feasible, you could borrow it for tests.
I've no idea of the construction of the HD (pins etc) but it's 40g and I'm not fussed if you bugger up the OS, I'll just reinstall it.

JohnP

Just seems weird that it works perfectly plugged in but reboots on battery... I am fairly confident battery is good because as Mac suggested it will sit there happily for a few hours in BIOS Setup (so it must be getting charged & be able to provide power) - so it has to be something in windows that it trys to do when I use battery - so far as I can see I can't see any error logs (I checked events windows) it just like I press the Power OFF button Off & then back ON. It'll reboot in windows but then after a min or so it does it again....

Damned if I know - Just frustrating not being able to use laptop without mains cable dangling out of it all the time...

I'll keep trying - Is it possible to boot into windows safe mode & then turn things on one at a time...? Just a thought

John

mickw

Oh oh - bad feeling time.
My laptop went tits up after my marathon youtube viewing (remember the football?) although my laptop just took forever to boot.
Apparently there are some issues with youtube and versions of Flash and/or Java.

How about removing Flash and Java ?

Here's a link that may help
http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/internet-explorer-forum/242606-solved-flash-youtube-problems-yet-again.html

Fay

14 hours & thinking of reverting back to old drive :o
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Ohhh I think I may have made some progress......

Been trying loads of things today to sort out my reboot problem... Don't know why but just had a thought that issue might be with the point device on my laptop so I plugged in an external mouse & pulled out mains lead & so far it has been working on batteries for 40mins...!!!!!!!! Don't know if it is coincidental but it seems to be working. If that is the case then problem must somehow be linked to pointing device on my laptop... Any ideas???? Maybe IRQ or something. The pointing device on the laptop is still active so plugging mouse in hasn't disabled it.....

Strange... any ideas

mickw

What does unplugging the mouse do ?

mickw

Quotereverting back to old drive................

Fay you're so transparent........................

Any excuse to get a new camera  ;)

JohnP

QuoteWhat does unplugging the mouse do ?

Mick - it's working at the moment - can't force myself to unplug it just in case goes wrong again......

Seriously though good idea - I will try it & report back...

John

Mike

Can you disable the touchpad in the Bios?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

John is your system date and time correct ?

Your laptop "pointing device" is hardware and probably via BIOS so if the MB battery is knackered, the laptop may forget about the pointing device.
Your mouse will probably be driven by the OS.

Just thoughts - not an expert.

Fay

You sound really clever Mick!

So, why is my Canon using port 7 in DSLR Focus, when it is already used by bluetooth. Also when I try to go to another available port, eg6, it is still on 7 & does not change?

My Canon is not responding to anything, was this morning but no more.

mickw

Fay, you are so silly.......
It's because it's broken  :roll:

Try disabling bluetooth, at least while imaging.

(Not clever, just good at clutching at straws  :oops:)

JohnP

Ok few more updates....

I unplugged external mouse while on battery & computer immediately rebooted?... I'm now thinking maybe it is something to do with having a device plugged in USB port?

Mike yes I can disable on board pointing device via BIOS but this will do it for both battery & mains - I actually use the on board pointing device a lot so dont want to disable it..

I have reinstalled Mick's 'memory module' & still working Ok..

Like I say it just seems to like having something plugged in USB when on battery....

John

mickw

Out of curiosity, does the laptop just like a USB mouse plugged in or is it anything USB - eg memory stick.

No idea what this will prove, but it's more info, plus it might be easier to "deal with".

JohnP

blimey Mick - you keep giving me all these intelligent tests to try....! I will plug my memory stick in next time in the same port as the USB mouse & see if that works...

Thks,  John

mickw

Try stuff in different ports also, you might have a duff port.

Quotegiving me all these intelligent tests
I think I have had just the right amount of beer - It's all downhill from here  ;)

Fay

Simon E

Quote from: Mac on Dec 01, 2009, 16:31:10
QuoteWhat would I do in this situation, I would probably reinstall XP, or whatever operating system that you have. Coping off all useful files first. Because one can waste a lot of time second guessing the problem

Nice idea Simon, but what happens when you do all of this and the problem is still there?

I'd rather spend a few hours tracking the problem down to prove one way or other where the problem is, rather then spend 8 or 9 hours reinstalling xp and asscoiated software,
Only to find it was a hardware problem, been there, done that and bought the T Shirt.

ps. ask Fay  :cheesy: i've spent quite a few hours trying to get her old camera to be installed as a camera and not a garden bench.
In the end we had to re-install windows, so far thats taken over 9 hours!!.

Mac

9 hrs, something seriously wrong there, I reinstalled xp and it took about 30mins. Loaded up the internet and updated all the drivers as well. What are you using XP on floppy :o :o

si

Simon E

Quote from: mickw on Dec 01, 2009, 16:52:27
If a formatted XP HD was shoved in Johns lappy, would it work ?
I know it won't be happy because most of the drivers will be wrong, but would it run and could it update relevant drivers?

Yes it would, did this with my girlfriends daughters PC, your right drivers are a pain but we got it up and running on 16bit colour no sound etc and then just got the drivers off the net for the laptop.

easy si ;)

Simon E

About the USB device are there any conflicts in device manager....

This all seems very much like Xp is screwed up a bit, with an XP disk you could always try and Repair the version of XP that is loaded onto the laptop. You could also trying creating another partition, make it a bootable part and installing a second op system onto the laptop and try to boot into this. and see if you have the same problem.
Although you will need a couple of pieces of software,
ie: Part magic, Win 2k, enough disk space spare on the laptop etc etc.

Again I would say,,,,, pain though,.... backup all you want to a external device, format and start again.
Install is about 30mins on XP. Then install a couple of bits of software onto it to test, word etc and test for a couple of days to see if everything is ok.

If stuff fails then it ain't XP, It could be memory, easy to swap out and find out. It could be the HD, again easy to check, if you have a spare HD... Motherboard..... pain in the ..se...... New laptop time.

Can always come have a look as I have been fixing these things for the last 23yrs
si

JohnP

Thks very much Si - At the moment (touch wood) it all seems to be working apart from the fact that I need to make sure I have a USB mouse plugged in when I am on batteries. That isn't a big issue & I can certainly live with that. I am loath to reformat/ install win XP Pro purely because I have so much other damned stuff on there as well (data & applications etc.) I have most of the important stuff backed up now in case it goes 'belly up' & I know apps etc. can always be installed again but I'm just a bit concerned about getting it all to work together. I know when I image for example if I don't plug things in the right way around then ports dont work, cameras dont operate etc. etc. Just look at the probs that Fay is having....

I think I will struggle on as is for now & maybe try & get a 2nd laptop up & running sometime soon before this one finally dies. I have about 15Mb out of 55Mb left space wise...

Thks again for all your help,

John

Mac

Quote9 hrs, something seriously wrong there, I reinstalled xp and it took about 30mins. Loaded up the internet and updated all the drivers as well. What are you using XP on floppy 

si

Nope not really
the first version of windows xp pro didn't work. (Incorrect product key, and yes it was original and not a copy) that took about an hour, gave up in the end, this included setting up different partitions 1st.
Second install (XP home) finally worked, took about 60 mins. but because it was a restore disk, it re partitioned the disk, so that needed to be done again, 15 mins.

Then i installed hyperos and set that up, duplicated the os, & switched the os, 25mins,

Then we set to work installing all of fays software, and drivers, testing each and every camera with each bit of software after they were installed.
This is because Fay was originally having problems with camera drivers and software.
then we made a backup of the system (before i left, in case anything went wrong later) -10 mins.
total time about 6 hours.
Fay then continued to install all of her other software. which i believe has taken her another 3 hours.
The beauty now is because i've set up hyper os on her system, should anything fail it will take about 20 mins to reinstall her laptop
OS and all the software and drivers. instead of 9 hours.

Hyperos is similar to nortons ghost, except you can run multiple o/s partitions up to 22
Mac.

Simon E

She must have loads of software, but normally a base xp load will take 30-40mins to install. Software and drivers will take longer. I thought you meant that to load xp alone :o it took 9hrs. I was thinking that the cd was having trouble reading the disk or something.

Just wondered if anyone is doing any kind of scan disk on the HD's, to see if the HD's had any bad blocks etc.... and were on their way out? :D

si