• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Stairs Farm visit today

Started by Carole, Nov 23, 2009, 19:35:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Doug, Rose and myself went to Stairs Farm today to assess its suitability for DSC.

We feel that this could be the place we are looking for, it has all the necessities as follows:

Pitches:
5 hardstanding pitches for Caravans/vans
space for around 12 more tents (we can also use the field next door should we need to, though we think it is unlikely, but no hooks ups in there.)

Toilet and shower:
There are two toilets, one with a heated shower (the heater is new).  Sink and mirror also in shower room. Small sink in other loo.  Chemical toilet disposal.

Hook Ups:
There are 8 hook ups can be used by Vans or tents.  Not sure of amps.  (If we go when jo-public are also there, the priority for the Hooks Up goes to the vehicles).

Lighting
VERY dark sky and no lights to interfere with either observing or imaging.  The only light there is a small 60W bulb outside the toilet/shower hut (which if we are the only people there we can cover with red film).  Street lights non existent and even in the nearby village of Hartfield hardly any lights.  Distant faint glow on horizon, mostly masked by the other barns.

Space, ground and surroundings
The ground was a bit soggy today but considering recent weather, it was not too bad, and there is a gravel road entering the field with further hard standing for the Caravans etc, and no problem getting stuck in the mud.  
NO SHEEP!!!! Or Sh.....
Camping and Caravan Club certified site
Site is elevated with combination padlock on gate.

Between Edenbridge and T. Wells and only 23 miles from High Elms.

Cost and bookings:
This is about £8 per night plus £3 hook up in off season, I need to look up the summer prices, I think it is about £3 per night more.  There are various options here, either the society will collect money and pay the warden afterwards on a trust basis.  Or we can book the site exclusively for our use on a minimum of £200 basis.  Not sure if this is a winter only option, need to check.  Or we can book individually in advance.

Anyway, the owner seems to be very amenable to making mutually agreeable arrangements, so I think we can think about how we would like to do this if we want to make bookings here.

I certainly think it warrants a try out.

Photos below.

Entrance to field

View of field inc 1 hook up

Another view of field can just see a bit of hard standing over to the right.

Doug talking to the owner, you again can see the hardcore tracks, also the church which is very dimly lit at night (we went back to look after dark.

Shower and toilet block, with chemical disposal and water supply.

Mike

Looks a tad boggy but we could give it a go.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

SimonTelescopium

I saw a steeple in one of the pictures have you checked to see if the church is lit-up?

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Looks a tad boggy but we could give it a go.

I wonder how Blacklands is after the recent 5" of rain?

Carole

QuoteLooks a tad boggy but we could give it a go.
I think anywhere would be a bit boggy at the moment.  I walked on the grass and it wasn't as bad as it might look.

QuoteI saw a steeple in one of the pictures have you checked to see if the church is lit-up?
, yes as stated above the image, we went back there when it was dark and the steeple is lit, but it's only very dim.

I would certainly recommend we give this a try out and see what we think as it has all the things we need and even if we chose not to reserve it exclusively, there couldn't be too many non astronomical people there as it's not that big. 

Here's the link:
http://www.campsitescaravansites.co.uk/campsite-caravan-site6194.asp

I have managed to discuss with them about the Camping and Caravanning membership issue and we don't need to become members.

Carole

Carole

More info from the website

Pricing and Opening Times 

Seasons Open: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter.

Low Season: £8.00 per unit per night.
High Season: £10.00 per unit per night.

Electric hook-up:
Summer £3.00 per night.
Winter £4.00 per night.

Site open all year ground conditions permitting.
No arrivals/departures between 11.00pm and 7.00am.
Otherwise by arrangement, dependant on season and bookings. 

Carole

JohnP

Looks good Carole. Good work by Doug, Rose & yourself in doing the recce... John

Simon E

Looks cool and not to far away from me..... sorted :twisted:

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Mac

Looks ok,

but it might take longer to get to here then to Blacklands.

as that's straight down the M23 - A23

In fact getting to Blacklands was quicker then getting to the old site.

Just a thought

Might be worth a recke on a UDSC though.

Mac.

mickw

It should be quicker, if you don't take the scenic route (B2026) from Westerham
M25 (A25) - A22 - B2110 at Forest Row - Done
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Simon E

Yes but the scenic route is soooooo nice, with some nice sweeping bends, to kick the tail out on, as you floor the car down the lanes. :twisted: :twisted:

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

doug

Like it, LIKE IT,like it Si.  Woo hoo !!! :lol:
Always look on the bright side of life ...

RobertM

Great work Carole, Doug and Rose, it certainly looks like a good alternative.

Doug, if you're going to be hanging the tail of that campervan out on those bends then someone else ought to keep the beer safe for you just incase you get there in one piece ;)

Robert

Mike

We'll organise a UDSC in the New Year to give it a test run.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac