• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Peltier-cooled Canon - second light

Started by MarkS, Nov 23, 2009, 18:47:41

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Here is one of my 10 minute subs taken at Riberac.

I don't know exactly what went wrong, but I suspect that moisture condensed on the CCD window and froze.  It happened immediately after I opened the sealed bag to change the battery.

Mark

JohnP

ummm bummer.... Did you get any good subs? Has the camera worked since?

John

Tony G

:o

I AIN'T MODDING MINE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony G

PS.................Only joking Mark. Hope everythings OK.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Standard batery is only 720mah, how about higher capacity battery - 2000mah ?
http://www.batterymill.com/shop/DIGITALCAMERAS/CANON/5649
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

MarkS

Here's the first light from my second Canon 350D. 

No this is not a new nebula - it was caused by dew forming on the CCD cover glass - the cooling was down to 21C below freezing - ambient air temperature 7C.

It's very red because I was using a clip-in Ha filter.  I couldn't see any stars through the viewfinder so I had to open the camera out in the garden to remove it for alignment purposes.  Although the peltier was not yet switched on it allowed damp air to enter. Clearly, I will need to perform all alignment with the finderscope in future.

There's a definite pattern forming here - whenever I've opened up the camera "in the field" it has caused misting.  All other experiments have been fine. 

Here's a question: why doesn't the cover glass on a dedicated astro-CCD suffer similar misting problems?

Anyway, I managed to get a later version of Nebulosity connected to PhDGuiding to give me dithering.  According to the release notes, the version I was previously using had a bug which prevented the dithering.

Mark

Mike

Quote from: MarkS on Dec 07, 2009, 06:10:02Here's a question: why doesn't the cover glass on a dedicated astro-CCD suffer similar misting problems?

It does from time to time. I've had one or two occasions when a small patch of moisture has formed over the CCD. Strangely it only forms directly over the point of the CCD and nowhere else. I think on all occasions it is where some moisture was already inside the camera (camera put into case on a dewy night and small amount of water inside the case).
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan