• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

SKYWATCHER STARTRAVEL-102T

Started by Simon E, Nov 23, 2009, 13:02:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon E

My father asked me what I wanted for xmas this year, so I said a guidescope for my celestron. So have one of these on order now. :D

SKYWATCHER STARTRAVEL-102T (Tube Assembly)
102mm (4") f/500 REFRACTOR
Specification and optics same as Startravel-102 (AZ3) but supplied without Equatorial Mount and Tripod. Complete with tube rings.

Maybe I can now guide with either scope and take photos.

When set up and piggy backed i might have to get some count balance weights for it, or even a expensive eq mount. :o

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Simon E

Oh forgot to mention, I have started on the garden observatory, and dug out the foundations for the shed. Just trying to find a hollow tube for casting the concret pier for the scopes to mount on.

Will sort out some images soon for the construction, It's basically a 8x6 shed, which i already have on a concrete base with a concrete pier in the middle. I will then fit a new retro sliding roof, a bit like this, add electrics, and kit out with laptop, internet, fridge(for beer) and other bits n pieces.

8)

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

RobertM

Looking good Simon though I hope there will be a bit more room in the final design ;)

But ... should this be in a different section ... ;)

Where are the forum police when you need them  :police: :police: :police:

Tony G

Hi Si,

What size tube are you after?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

nick nick...

always looking, post 1 was about the right place, post two placed a foot into Technical, the weight is now on that foot and the toes of the other are sliding slowly towards technical too...

If it suddenly slews back to photography, it can stay where it is.

Simon E

Quote from: Tony G on Nov 23, 2009, 15:15:27
Hi Si,

What size tube are you after?

Tony G

Tony I have a NEXSTAR C8 and thought about the Skywatcher 80T, but then had a look at the 102T as a guide scope for the 8". The 4" might double up as a unit to take some pictures through as well, as it is a f5 and it has a much wider field of view compared to my Nexstar.

These two will be piggybacked onto each other and mounted on a concrete, reinforced pier, via a wedge...... look right back to Photography.... nah nah :twisted:

si

Simon E

Quote from: RobertM on Nov 23, 2009, 15:13:35
Looking good Simon though I hope there will be a bit more room in the final design ;)

This a 6".6 x 6".6 observatory, mine will be a bit bigger @ 6"x8", so will be able to add some creature comforts.....

At the end of the day as long as I can get a small desk/shelf with a chair and the scope mounted, then that will be cool. I also want to run cables upto the house, 100 foot away, so I can run the scope from there, need some really long usb cables etc..... :o

At least any heat coming from the house, will be minimal, and thus not effect any of the images I take. Plus it will be out of the wind.....

si

Mac

I think tony was talking about the size for your pier.
He's a master of tube off cuts, for using as a mould.

This is the one he dropped of for me. ;)

Mike

102mm scope for a guide scope !!!  :o
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Si,

Mac was correct, it was the size of the 'hollow tube for casting' I was after, as I may be able to help.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Simon E

Oh errr silly me that would be cool. Need something about 10"-12" thick, "no dirty jokes please" and about 4 foot long, will take a longer one though, and has anyone got any steel rods about the same length that I can get hold of, for the pier.

si

cheers

Simon E

Quote from: Mike on Nov 23, 2009, 17:51:05
102mm scope for a guide scope !!!  :o

Well a lot of people use the 80T which is only 1/2" smaller and 100mm longer in the tube length. So i thought what the hell. Plus there is only £50 in the price.

Don't know what the weight difference is between the 80T and the 102T, hopefully it won't be a problem for the Nexstar arm, however Celestron have brought out the piggyback camera holder, and slr's with lens's ain't light

You never know this doesn't seem to be a problem.

The real worry is if I use a 8" sct as I guide scope :o :o
si

MarkS

Quote from: Simon E
The real worry is if I use a 8" sct as I guide scope :o :o

I often use my Celestron C11 as a guide scope ...

Tony G

Si,

I have a piece of hollow rigid pipe (sizes......... 9" internal and approximately 4' long) see image below.
If you want this, just let me know, and I'll try and get it to you some how, unless you are at the meeting on Thursday, and I'll bring it along with me.

Tony G

Simon E

I will try and come along tomorrow night, how much do u want for it.

Thanks
Si