• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

EQMOD on an HEQ5

Started by mickw, Nov 18, 2009, 08:45:15

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Is it really this simple or am I missing something ?

One of these -

http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/ftdichip?productID=49&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=47/

plus an RJ45 plug (no 9 pin serial on HEQ5) and some free software
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

No - it is a specific chip not just a serial convertor. It needs to give the EQ control commands. You need an EQMOD.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Thanks Mike, I got that item off EQMOD site - obviously clicked the wrong link (the cheap link  ;))

Fay

Mick, what does an EQMOD on HEQ5 pro  do?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Hopefully the same EQ6  ;)

Do away with the handset controller and control everything from PC that the handset does plus some other stuff.

I think Mike and Chris are running the mod

Have a look here -
http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/

Mike

It does away with the hand controller and you get far greater accuracy of GoTo as well as allowing alignments on any number of stars not just 1, 2 or 3. Plus YOU get to choose the stars and you can do so by simply clicking on one on a planetarium software so in other words you look up at the sky, select a star and then click it on Carte Du Ceil or similar and hey presto! Much easier to use than the hand unit.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Do you just download it onto laptop & not plug the handset in? So, you can revert back if you wanted to, by just plugging it in again?

Mike

Download what onto a laptop?

Fay

Don't you have to download the controls onto laptop?

Mac

QuoteDon't you have to download the controls onto laptop?

Sort of.

Its the EQ mod drivers you download to your laptop which are ascom compliant.
These are then used normally by your planetarium  software to control your scope.

You just select your scope from the ascom drivers when selecting telescope control in your software.

~Mac.

Mike

mickw

But there is a cable/adapter required also, it plugs between the laptop and mount - It's not something you do to the mount.

Similar principle to the long exposure DSLR cable/adapter

JohnP

You also need to make sure you have latest ascom stuff on your laptop as well as the eqmod s/w.

Fay - it's another thing you control from your laptop & need to plug into serial port - with all the issues you have had it may be best to stick with handcontroller. I have tried both & for the way I work (& I think you are similar) I personally find it easier to use hand controller. I rarely goto more than one object per night. Normally I just do a goto to a single star in area of interest & then goto object (either from catalog) or if its not there type in coords manually. I can however do a synchronization with my version of the EQ6 handset which I am not sure you can do with your controller....?

If I either get myself a fully functioning obsy with remote control then yes I could definitely see myself using EQMod - just worries me having yet another thing hanging out my laptop when I'm in the field.

John

mickw

Hmm, John the voice of reason...................

You're right, in my case I need to learn what the hell I'm doing before I start getting cocky.

Cheers John, and surprisingly I'm being serious  ;)

Mike

Like John says if you are a non-techy person then don't go for the EQMOD as although it is great it does add another layer of complexity to an already complex hobby.