• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Wow! have you guys seen how cheap this new SBIG is????

Started by Daniel, Nov 10, 2009, 12:12:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=110

I mean, I know £1700 is still  lot of money, but compared to most other cams using the 8300 chip out there, that's pretty cheap, and an Sbig!!!

Whitters

MarkS

Price is amazing.
Need to compare the "all-in" price including filters, though. 

mickw

More tech spec here -

http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/ST8300.htm

Looks like nobody "actually" has any 36mm filters or wheels  :roll:

Still want one though  8)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Daniel

I take it I'd be Able to use my 2" filters on this though wouldn't I? I don't use filter wheels or anything because of the hyperstar

Daniel
:O)

mickw

I believe there's something even bigger/better in the pipeline - you don't produce a range of accessories and get other manufacturers to buy into it (filter wheel + filters) for one product   :-?

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Yes, why is it so cheap? I think most of the large frame camera's use the same Kodak chip. SX looks like it's new one, with same chip , is around £2,500
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

i've seen it even cheeper.

£1200 :o

http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/ST8300.htm

shipping and insurance is not going to cost £500.

You could get a return flight for less.

Worth a trip i think.

Mac

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

JohnP

Well all depends whether you go over there & collect it personally... I'm sure if you get it shipped it will be VAT min at 15% plus import duty at 3-5%... so additional would be around 20% or 22.5% after Jan.. :-(

Daniel

Hmmmm, that's getting me thinking, I could afford that next month if I only had to pay about £1450. I've always wanted an Sbig, but they've always been WAY out of my price range. Think I might have found my camera!  :D

MarkS

At that price it represents excellent value.  And using it for narrowband imaging from your location would be ideal.

I recommend going with the narrowest bandwidth filters you can afford (compatible with your fast focal ratio of F2).  I found that the 12nm Ha filter wasn't narrow enough to do my Peltier-Canon justice from Sidcup.  The background signal was by far the limiting factor.

Mark

Daniel

I'd love to use really narrow band filters, but unfrotunately because im imaging at F1.9 with the hyperstar I have to use wider band filters (such as the 48nm Ha I bought from Robert) to avoid abberations in the image.

That said, looks like this camera can be hooked up to a lens like Roberts can, so maybe that may be a way around it, would love to do some proper wide field.

Daniel
:O)