• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

photo waiting to happen

Started by Ian, Jul 02, 2002, 23:45:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

on the 4th and 5th of January next year, Saturn will pass in front of the Crab nebula. Sounds like a photo oppotunity to me...

although with 10 mag difference between Saturn and the Nebula, it might be tricky :smile:

Whitters

Mike

I think you would need to do two separate exposures of that one and then superimpose them.

I doubt you could get an exposure of the crab without Saturn being highly overexposed, especially if you want the ring system to show up. The problem with exposing for the crab is that Saturn would be overexposed and probably bleed into he surrounding area making superimposing difficult.

Unless there is a filter that would bring out the detail in the nebulae, but dim the surface of Saturn ?!?!?!?!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

it'd be an impressive photo if we can pull it off. But definitely needs lots of preplanning etc...