• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Site Search

Started by Mike, Nov 24, 2009, 21:24:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

...is screwed. I put the word "Library" in to find all of the recent entries concerning the library exhibition and got nothing after an entry in 2005.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Main website, or forum?

Jim (or whoever it was said they would) hasn't sent me a report about the recent exhibit yet.

Mike

But there are several entries on the forum that have the words 'library' in the title or main text since 2005 and yet they do not show up in search.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Worked OK for me, far as I can tell. The way it weights results (and I get three pages of hits for "library") tends to bring longer threads with more references to the top. If you're specifically after threads with "library" in the subject rather than the main body of the text, then use the advanced search, 'cos it has an option to search only on subjects.

Mike

Doesn't work for me. I just did anothetr search and now i'm only getting this thread - maximum of three results.

Rick

Ok. Looks like you've somehow or other cut down the number of forum sections you're looking in. Can be done in the advanced search, but is supposed to default to all sections (and does so just fine when I use it).

It's interesting that your breadcrumb trail goes like this:

Orpington Astronomical Society > Random Rambling Ruminations > Website Editors >  Search > Search Results

while mine goes like this:

Orpington Astronomical Society > Search > Search Results

I can't figure out how you're getting that more specific path, as mine always goes back to the short version.

Rick

Ah! I see what's happening now...

If you use the SEARCH menu option in the main menu bar under the banner then you will search the whole forum by default. You can go from there to the Advanced Search which will allow you to tune your search in various ways.

If you use the quick search button to the right of the News message then your search will operate on the section you're currently viewing. You can get to the Advanced Search instead by clicking on the little magnifying glass...