• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Spending spree

Started by Simon E, Oct 26, 2009, 11:15:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon E

Thought I would go on a bit of a spending spree, so I could start tracking on the scope.

Bought at Meade Lunar Planetary Imager (LPI) w/AutoStar Suite, which doubles up as a tracking camera, with the software.

As I am using a Nexstar 8se LCT I also go one of these. Meade Off-Axis Guider

Next up is one of these as my first ccd camera!

Ok it is not mega pixel, but I think it's a good way to start.

spec

Video formats @ Frame rate 1024x768 UYVY @ 15, 7.5, 3.75 fps
1024x768 BY8 @ 30, 15, 7.5, 3.75 fps

Sensitivity 0.15 lx
Dynamic range ADC: 10 bit, output: 8 bit
SNR ADC: 9 bit at 25°C, gain 0 dB

IR cut filter yes
Sensor specification  ICX204AK
Type progressive scan
Format 1/3 "
Resolution H: 1024, V: 768
Pixel size H: 4.65 µm, V: 4.65 µm
Lens mount C/CS

Also looking at either making a wooden wedge or buying the Celestron version.

Then maybe I can get some better deep sky stuff,   heres to hoping.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Simon E

In two minds about this, should i get the dmk ccd above or a better slr off ebay. My main interest is deep sky stuff, what do u lot reckon. i have a spare £350 lying about and want to spend it wisely.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

JohnP

Are you looking for 1-shot colour....? I think the DMK is a video type camera meant more for lunar & planetary imaging not deep sky stuff. Also 0.15LUX is not very sensitive....!!! I personally think a digital slr like a 350D off ebay would be better - you can get them for around £150 & if you modify it for better Ha response then it is one hell of a camera in the right hands. Just look at all of Mark's stunning images. Failing that I would go for something like an entry level B&W astronomical CCD camera - you wouldn't go far wrong with something like an Atik 16ic....

John

MarkS

Sorry, my previous comment (now deleted) wasn't very helpful.

For your budget I would recommend a second-hand EOS350D.  This will give you multi-mega pixel one shot colour imaging.

Get a T-adapter and Canon T-ring
Get a CLS clip-in filter for it (but be aware that a clip-in filter cannot be used with all lenses)
Get a remote control interval timer and/or a lead to your PC so you can do long exposures.
Get some software (such as Nebulosity) to help you focus.

I consider the CCD inside the EOS350D to be the bargain of the decade for astro-imaging in colour.

Mark

Mike

Mark have you joined the ranks of the Forum Police?  :police: (or pirate parrots, whatever the heck they've transformed into)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Simon E

Just had a quick look at ebay.

Is this model as good as the 350d, Cause this has the live view option.
Canon EOS Rebel XSi Digital Camera 2 Lens Bundle 450D wide angle lens and a 18-55mm lens

Coming in at £350

I currently use a Nikon d40, which is only 6 mega pixels, will getting the 450d or a 350d make much of an improvement.

si

MarkS

Not sure about the 40D - I'll have to look it up.

The 450D has definite advantages over the 350D:

It has 14bit depth (vs 12bit for the 350D)
It has Liveview
It does not suffer from long exposure ampglow on the CCD (which the 350D suffers from)

Mark

Mac

QuoteJust had a quick look at ebay.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Sorry i go all juddery when the words 350d and ebay are mentioned in the same text.

Long story, :boom: and its still going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 18months now.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteDo tell !

Cant, Its my court case!

Carole

Simon,

The Canon 450D is what I bought on Ebay, refurbished by canon for £380 inc postage.  It's got live view and software that (like yours) so you can control the camera from the laptop and live view on the laptop.  If you're interested I can let you know the place I bought it - comes with a 3 month guarantee which I thought was safer than risking a private sale.

I bought a 450D on Mark's recommendation because of the Live view option. 

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: MarkS
Not sure about the 40D - I'll have to look it up.

Couldn't find any useful info on the Nikon D40 from an astrophotography point of view, I'm afraid.  That said, I use a Nikon D70 for "terrestrial" photography but I would always use the Canon 350D for astro because the D70 CCD is too noisy.  I much prefer the feel of the Nikon however, for everyday terrestrial use.

However, the whole Nikon range (even the most recent top of the range models) suffers from an inability to retrieve true raw frames from the camera.  The Nikon "raw" frames have already been processed internally to remove hot pixels.  This might be fine if you're taking a picture of Aunt Maude or your girlfriend but unfortunately it also has the effect of applying a non-linear smear to faint stars (which the algorithm judges to be hot pixels).  It's not clear to me just how just big a problem this actually is, but the astrophotography community steers well clear of Nikons now - whether rightly or wrongly.

As a result, Canons have enormous support in terms of astro software and upgrades (e.g. replacement filters for H-alpha) that Nikons simply don't have.

But since you already have a Nikon then use it.  You can always buy another camera later, once you have a better idea of your needs.

Mark

Simon E

Been looking at the 1000d which saves me £100, so only £349 brand new with warrenty. Ok it is only 10.1million pixels, but still has the Live view. So is it worth the extra £100 to get the extra pixels. ie: 450d has 12.1million, with a slightly larger screen. But don't care about the screen size.

Si

MarkS

The other difference is the bit depth 14bits on the 450D vs 12 bits on the 1000D.

The real answer depends on factors such as gain, read noise, dark current and pixel sensitivity and I haven't seen relevant figures for either camera.  It's actually possible to deduce the figures with a few experiments which only take one hour in total.

Some further info here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/78361-canon-450d-1000d.html   but no real conclusion.

The other thing to consider is that you may wish to have the camera H-alpha modified at some time in the future.  I've checked - Baader do a replacement filter for either camera so this is not a deciding factor either.

Mark

Simon E

Just been having another look around and found this camera that gets a better review than the 450d and the 1000d.

Anyone used one? Olympus E-510.

si

The Thing

I'm watching this thread as I need to replace my short lived 350d.

Carole

Can some-one tell me how you put an image on a post without having to put it in the gallery first, such as the one's Simon put on at the beginning of this thread. 

Carole

Simon E

Easy, first you have to find the image you want to display and then right click the image,(it has to be on another hosted website) then click properties and then highlight the address of the image and copy it. It will sit in memory until pasted.

Now create a new post and click on the insert image button on the second line of buttons on the new post screen. It has a photo in a frame on it

This puts two bits of text on the screen   1) img and 2) /img  both in square brackets. As long as your paste the address you copied in between the two lots of brackets then it will display the image you copied on your post.

Job done

This also works for links on the next button.

see image taken from google.

si

Carole

Got it.  Same as putting in a post from your own website.

Carole

Simon E

MarkS

Quote from: Simon E
Just been having another look around and found this camera that gets a better review than the 450d and the 1000d.
Anyone used one? Olympus E-510.

Better review in which sense - astrophotography or what?  What will be the main use of this camera?

If you are buying a camera dedicated for astro-work then go for a Canon, no question.  It is better supported than any other range.  For instance, you will almost certainly want to have it modded to improve H-alpha sensitivity at some point in the future.   For this, replacement internal filters are readily available for Canons but I've never seen them for other cameras.

Mark

MarkS

Quote from: Dunc
I'm watching this thread as I need to replace my short lived 350d.

Did you try repairing it?
Is the salvage for sale (in whatever state) - I could be interested in it for spares.

If you get a 350D I'm very happy to help H-alpha mod it.  You might also be able to persuade me to mod a 450D (instructions are on the internet) - but not one still covered by its manufacturer's guarantee!

Mark

doug

I`m looking at DSLR cameras for astrophotography .. attach to `scope with rings ... or piggyback with looonnnggg lenses, as well as using it for wildlife photography.  I`ve got my eye on the Sony A380, which will also take my Minolta lenses.  It`s one beauty of a camera, light and high megapixels. 

It`s a lot of dosh, though, but what the hell, Christmas is approaching and I might .... hopefully.... get it as a prezzie.  If I`m a good chap to my best pal.  Perhaps a lot a household chores might be the answer.

Doug.   ;)
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Are you watching this Rose, I think some-one is hinting!!

Mike

Doug the only DSLR cameras really suitable for deep sky astrophotography are the Canon EOS range.

RobertM

Check if you can buy an EOS adaptor for those minilota lenses... best of both worlds!

The Thing

Mac

QuoteIt`s a lot of dosh, though, but what the hell, Christmas is approaching and I might .... hopefully.... get it as a prezzie.  If I`m a good chap to my best pal.  Perhaps a lot a household chores might be the answer.
:o :o :o

Nooooooooooooooooooo.

Take a leaf out of the Ladies book.
Buy it and put it in the back of your wardrobe, then just remove it one day, and say its been there ages.

It works for them and dresses ;)

Must be able to get it to work for you.

Mac.

Simon E

So it seems that the canon will be the one, but not sure if the 450d or the 1000d, held the 1000d in dixons and it is very rubberised, if you know what i mean, feels more like a sports camera, whereas the 450d is you normal hard case camera. Will have another look at both and read the reviews. Nice if i could get a 450d for the price of a 1000d, but never gonna happen.
Thanks for all the help.

As i have the nikon D40 it will be my normal day-to-day camera, whereas the next camera will be totally astrophotography, so it will get a filter anyway.

si

The Thing

My 350d is actually still under guarantee for 3 more months so Pantiles Cameras (Beckenham Branch) will fix or replace free. (found the receipt, not bad for used!) However it won't be fixed before DSC and the one I found at London Camera Exchange had gone when I phoned them back.

MarkS

Quote from: Dunc
My 350d is actually still under guarantee for 3 more months

Excellent news - shame you won't have it in time for DSC though.