• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Rosette from Riberac

Started by MarkS, Nov 24, 2009, 22:06:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Will have a look Mark, but rings a bell it does not work with DSUSB Shoestring guider
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Also from Stark Labs -
Nebulosity
http://www.stark-labs.com/nebulosity.html

That works with the bulb setting on the 350D and the 400D with LX adapter (same as shoestring I think)

They also do PHD guiding
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

I always use PhD for guiding.  For this Rosette I tried using Nebulosity to control the shutter and download the images (this most recent version will also write to the CF card as well).  The reason I was using Nebulosity was that it should sync with PhD and do dithering between exposures (previously I "manually" dithered by moving the guidestar slightly between exposures).

It also has a good tool for helping to focus the DSLR.

Well it did sync with PhD but completely failed to do any dithering.  I was lucky the Rosette came out as well as it did.  My M31 had to be consigned to the scrapheap because lack of dithering meant I had residual banding throughout the image.

Moral of the story - my back garden is the place to experiment with new software - instead of wasting premium dark sky time.

Fay

Mark, I meant it goes not work with GPUSB, what I have, ok with DSUSB
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Before my abortive attempt at using Nebulosity.

I use a stand alone shutter control program Shutter.exe via the serial port
I use PhD to do the guiding via the Shoestring GPUSB
I use Canon EOS Utility to download the image automatically into a folder (it's also saved to the camera's CF card)
I use RawShooter to examine the downloaded RAWs

A complete mishmash as you can see!