• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M31 59x180s ISO 160

Started by Daniel, Oct 18, 2009, 17:38:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi All, I managed to get almost 3 hours on M31 last night, im using ISO 160 for most of my imaging now and Im finding im able to control the colours much better at this ISO.

Im quite chuffed with this one, spent extra long collimating and focusing to get it bang on.

Seeing wasn't great last night, and tranparency was so-so (couldn't see all stars in Cassiopeia) but seem to have got some decent data, would love to give this a go on a still / transparent night and try 240s subs.

Imaging details are as follows :-

Imaging Scope = C14 with Hyperstar III
Camera = Canon 40D (Modded)
Ambient Temperature = 5 Degrees Celcius
Filters Used = CLS
Date and Time Taken = 17/10/09     12:30am - 2:30am
Light Frames = 59x180s ISO 160
Dark Frames = 16x180s ISO 160
Flat frames = 100x1/13s ISO 160
Bias  = 100x1/8000s ISO

Anyway, enough info, here it is

Daniel
:O)

Hi res

http://www.hyperstarimaging.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=656&size=big&cat=

Carole

That's great Daniel.

Carole

MarkS

That's very good Daniel.  Your collimation certainly looks spot on and you've got plenty of detail and contrast (better contrast than my version of M31).

You also have some nice areas of H-alpha which mine lacks - probably because you are using the CLS filter.  But I think the CLS filter has also caused that greeny hue.  I have seen the same effect when using the CLS filter to image galaxies from my own back garden.

To get that quality of image from where you are located is incredible.  Well done!

Mark

Whitters

Realy nice Daniel, there is loads of detail in the disk

Mac

Daniel

Thanks guy's, hope my image info wasn't too long winded, was thinking of posting all my images with this info from now on.

Daniel

Mac

Quotewas thinking of posting all my images with this info from now on

Please do, as it allows others who are just starting to see how you achieved your image.

ps, keep up the good work.

Daniel

Thanks guy's, I've re-done the colour to get rid of that green cast, what do you guys think?

Daniel

Mike

Now it has a reddish cast to me.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Great image Daniel,

I am not as advanced as some on this forum (in imaging, that is, before Ian says anything), but this is my favorite object to image.
I still prefer the 1st image to the 2nd, as this now seems to be more red.
Still great detail.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Daniel

Ah damn, will have to try to find a middle ground between the 2, I like having a nice orangey core, but I don't want too much of that spilling into the outer limbs.

Daniel

Carole

Yes, 2nd one looks too pink to me too. 

Quotewas thinking of posting all my images with this info from now on

Please do, as it allows others who are just starting to see how you achieved your image.

Yes please, for people like me, especially as you have a DSLR and this is the route I am now going down.

Thanks
Carole

Fay

Extremely nice Daniel!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Daniel

Eugh, just seen the second image on my laptop at home and its horrible, waaaaay too pink, last time I trust the monitors at work!

RobertM

Daniel,  have a look at the colour gradients on each channel as I think they may be different, that will hamper getting the colour balance right.