• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Intro to image stacking: Step-by-step

Started by A.S.I.G.N_Baz, Oct 07, 2009, 08:20:30

Previous topic - Next topic

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Like a lot of astrophotographers, I get repeated questions on how to do things that although may seem simple, I have to remind myself that they were once beyond me...

So last night, I sat up all night and stacked some images in Deep Sky Stacker, taking screenshots all the way and writing down what I did as I went.

Hopefully this can answer a lot of questions and get the new blood in the game well on their way to adding to the richness of images proliferating amateur astronomy.

http://www.asignobservatory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84&Itemid=125

Have a crack, enjoy and let's see what you new folks can do!!! YEEEHHARRR!

Baz.

doug

That`s very excellent, Baz.  When you gonna come over to the Old Country and give us all a talk and a demo to the Society, mate?  Us old`uns would lap up your every word and the young`uns could then show you some of the clever images that they have shot. 

Perhaps the promise of a few jars of Aussie beer might tempt you, hey ???

Doug.   :)
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Thanks for that Baz, not read it yet, but have stored it away for future use.
I have had one go at using DSS, not that I had much to process, but all tips are welcome.

Carole

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Doug, from what I hear the skies up there are grey most of the time! :roll:

Mmmmm...beeeeerrrrrrrrrr....I'm thinking.... ;)

Carol, ask me questions anytime mate. You know where to find me...

Cheers,

Baz.

Carole

Hi Baz,

I did have ago at DSS following your instructions.  Funny thing was, when I made all the adjustments you stated, I got no image at the end.

If I just loaded the files, checked and registered them and then went straight to "stack" I got an Image.
Using the same files.

Not that I have much to process as yet, but the principal should be the same.

I seem to be prone to things not working as they should, so I'll leave this one until I have got something else to stack.

Thanks for the offer BTW.

Incidentally I am coming back to OZ in August 2010, but not coming to Canberra.  Staying a few days in Sydney and then up to Queensland and Kakadu.

Carole

MarkS

Nice work Baz.

Do you always choose median stacking?  I tend to use average or Kappa-Sigam stacking.  But then I tend to use IRIS instead of DSS anyway.

MArk