• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M45 from Lydd - Work in Progress

Started by MarkS, Sep 28, 2009, 06:27:53

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Dee saw a fuzzy object rising above the horizon and asked me if I knew what it was - it was M45.   After trying to count the 7 sisters with the naked eye she looked at them through binoculars and said, "Oh, I'd like a picture of that".

So here it is - "Dee's Nebula"

M45 taken from Norwood Farm near Lydd - Sat 26/09/2009
24 x 5min
Modified Canon EOS350D on Skywatcher ED80 with William Optics 0.8x MkII reducer/flattener

The light leakage at the bottom right looks like residual amp glow that the darks did not remove.  I'll try to optimise the darks a bit better when I process this properly.

Here is the larger version (which is a 2x2 bin of the full frame):
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/m45_260909.jpg

Mark

JohnP

Fantastic Mark - lovely star colours & fantastic FOV..

Don't think 'Dee's Nebula' will stick though somehow.....  :lol:

John

RobertM

I really like that Mark, a great image of Dees Nebula ooops! the Pleiades.  An excellent fov and as John has mentioned, the star colours are lovely.

The Thing

Rocket Pooch

ok thats it I'm getting a modded SLR!

JohnP

Quoteok thats it I'm getting a modded SLR!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just think 1-shot colour.........

Daniel

Fantastic man, and amazing you got this over the weekend, I did 2 hours on M45 with the hyperstar myself, and the results were no way near as good.

Daniel
:O)

JohnP

Mark - Looking at it yet again - I love the brown dust that is showing through... This really is a top notch image - Well done,  John

Fay

Oh Mark, you have done it again. Have been looking forward to these images, really great, lovely field of view!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Fantastic image Mark. Lovely colours.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
I love the brown dust that is showing through...

Yes, the outer "brown" nebulosity is just beginning to appear.  Another 10 hours would bring it out nicely!

MarkS

Quote from: Daniel
I did 2 hours on M45 with the hyperstar myself, and the results were no way near as good.

It's the difference a dark site (with a very clear sky) makes!  Get your hyperstar down to one and your images will be truly awesome with your amazingly fast F-ratio.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Daniel

Quote from: MarkS on Sep 29, 2009, 06:41:57
Quote from: Daniel
I did 2 hours on M45 with the hyperstar myself, and the results were no way near as good.

It's the difference a dark site (with a very clear sky) makes!  Get your hyperstar down to one and your images will be truly awesome with your amazingly fast F-ratio.

Mark

Don't fancy a camping trip do you? :P

MarkS

Quote from: Space Dog
Goto love those ED80.

Indeed.  I plan to keep it quite busy this Winter ...

MarkS

Here's the final version:

Using a proper dark frame got rid of the amp glow on the right hand side and reduced overall noise slightly.  

And here it is full size, without any scaling - the image can just about take being full size.
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/m45_260909v2.jpg

Look carefully and you might see one or two galaxies in the background.

It makes an interesting comparison to John/Noel partnership http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=5173.0

Mine was completely processed in IRIS except that I used Photoshop Elements to remove some hot pixels and to apply noise reduction.

Mark

Fay

It really is a nice image Mark. A change to see wide field & not cropped. I like it very much
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

I have to say it again Mark - it's superb & really well processed & all your own work unlike mine... :-( Star colours are great & you have really kept noise down. There is tons of detail & I love the faint fuzzies...

Tremendous - John

Mac

RobertM

Looks wonderful Mark, it would make a great wall poster.

Daniel

Fantastic image mark, would kill for those star colours and that fainter slightly brown nebulosity at the bottom is coming through really nice.

Daniel
:O)