• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M27 test image

Started by Rocket Pooch, Sep 27, 2009, 15:34:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

I realised yesterday I had not been loking the mirror on the scope so I thought I'd give 4x15 minutes Ha on M27 for a test, the results are quite nice.  Usual kit Atik314L Meade 8" ACF @ F6.7 from Mottingham, notice the pin point stars and structure in M27 :-) If I gave it another 2 hours it would be fantastic.

JohnP

So are you saying your image from last DSC could have been better....?

Image looks great - tons of detail. Stars actually look a little tear drop shaped to me...? The structure of m27 looks great...

John

RobertM

Great image Chris, stars are quite sharp especially for 15 min subs but as you say it could do with the extra exposure.  Might be my contact lenses but are some of the stars a little triangular.

MarkS

I somehow missed this one when I looked at the forum earlier.  Excellent detail in that one and amazing from Mottingham.  How narrow is the passband on your Ha filter?

The stars look slightly misshapen - is it a guiding problem or a stacking problem?

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Sorry I forgot to say I had not done any align in AIP, this was a stack without alignment :-) at 1.4 meters :-)

The Ha is a standard Astronomik 13nm bypass so nothing special there.

RobertM

Is that a cropped or resized frame ?  Would be useful to see the whole thing if that is the case.  Also is the collimation spot on - I know you're fairly fussy about that but the stars seem sharp to the top left but not so the bottom right.

Robert

Rocket Pooch

Nope thats the full size frame, I think the stars are consistently odd, I'll re-stack it and align whern I get home and DDP it, then it should look normal.

Mike

Great image Chris. Much better stars.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Should look great then Chris, it's certainly a superb imaging scope with the AP reducer.