• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Imaging laptop

Started by mickw, Sep 28, 2009, 18:47:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

I'm sure that's good software Simon, but there is a raft of free stuff to use too. I'd recommend not paying for something until you know you'll get the benefit of it. I know the majority of imagers in the society use paid-for software, but I don't think any of us started out that way.

Demos are always useful. Get your head around what the software should do first then try as many different ones as you can before committing the hard-earned...

mickw

I think I'll set this thing up as it is, I'll stick Nebulosity on it as it's got a working demo - and the real version is cheap  :)
Then I'll give it a try, if it works I'll spend some dosh on it, if it doesn't I'll use the other laptop.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Simon E

No probs, offer is always open.... ie try before you buy... I went out on a limb and was pleased with the control. However Celestron want over £100 for there Nexstar remote software, that allows total control of the scope remotely. Does look good on the 30 day demo. You get a working picture of the remote, which allows complete remote goto access. Cool but a bit expensive.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Mike

Why not try one of the PC control options? I think EQ-MOD might work with your mount.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Simon E

Quote from: Mike on Sep 29, 2009, 11:30:24
Why not try one of the PC control options? I think EQ-MOD might work with your mount.

Is it free, If so will do.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Mike

The software is free. The connector you can either buy or make it yourself (open source)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

I'll see if capture kills the laptop (or me), then have a crack at guiding.
Installed Nebulosity and it seems to work in simulator mode - no input as yet.

Small steps Sparks  ;)

Once again thanks for all the advice and offers - much appreciated

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Ian on Sep 29, 2009, 09:37:47
don't forget you've got other OS options too. Windows 2000 or Linux might be a better bet on that hardware...

Linux, you having a laugh :-) windows 2000 grandad!

Actually bring back dos thats what I say, it was easier and I did not have 3 groups of developers then, 1 for the from end, 1 for the components and one for the database!!!!!

Bring back Clipper 5!!!!

Boy work can get you down.

Ian

and breathe.

How is therapy then Chris?

RobertM

QuoteBring back Clipper 5!!!!

OMG... but at least it did what it said on the tin.

Look on the bright side, at least your language coders aren't doing the database work.  They only test with one record in each table ... index ... err what's that guv ...

***** THREAD HIJACK ALERT *****

The Thing

I used to use a little Sony Vaio baby laptop with 128mb/20Gb. The thing it didn't like was guiding as it had to process more data than it could fit in memory to find out if the star had moved. But it did work. Captured DSLR images were stored eventually but got in the way of guiding (PHD). It still works- slowly.

Now I have a Canon DSLR I can use my grown up laptop :) as the drivers work with Vista. :(

mickw

Must admit this little laptop is starting to bug me  :evil:

USB1 only although it's got firewire.
Wireless networking doesn't work because I can't find a driver that works with XP - Not really a problem because I can use a network cable, but it's annoying.
To give a bigger HD, USB2 and more memory will be getting close to £100  :(
Can get a new Xp laptop for about 3................

I sense a spending frenzy on the horizon  ;)

mickw

OK for some strange reason common sense has prevailed, this thing goes back in the cupboard and I'll be using my Acer  8)

Thanks again for everyones input

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: RobertM on Sep 30, 2009, 11:07:47
QuoteBring back Clipper 5!!!!

OMG... but at least it did what it said on the tin.

Look on the bright side, at least your language coders aren't doing the database work.  They only test with one record in each table ... index ... err what's that guv ...

***** THREAD HIJACK ALERT *****

I remember creating arrary's to hold indexing in before B-Tree etc was invented, and doing it in 2k of memory on a, wait for it, ABS Orb!  Or Nascom 6E etc......

Still think Sun pinched Clipper 5 dialect for Java...

RobertM

Oh yes, though the detail has long faded, I also remember an old Olliveti PC hard drive chuffing away through 10,000 records in what seemed an eternity with DBase 4+.  If you look at a 'Modern' (and I use that term loosely) Trading platform like Murex, most of it's tables are still called XXXXXXXX_DBF (dos 8+3) - showing it's roots or what !!!