• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter and moons

Started by Simon E, Sep 23, 2009, 15:27:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon E

Another ok shot, from sunny Eynsford.

I don't know which moon is which any ideas anyone, and also you can just see the shadow of one of the moons on the disc of Jupiter.Still waiting for a damn clear night so I can use my new acro 3x barlow on the planet :o
si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

mickw

There are others but -
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3307071.html?page=2&c=y#

Enter time/date etc.

Astronomy Now also has a chart each month
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Daniel

Great image Simon, can't wait to see what you get with the 3x on there!

Daniel
:O)

Carole

Great image.

How did you managed to capture the moons and Jupiter's bands on the same image?  When I did this image I had to over-expose Jupiter to get the Moons and then take Jupiter on it's own to get the colour and the bands (at which point the moons did not show up), and then process a combination of both images.

I seem to recall others having had the same problem.

Or is it because you are using DSLR?

It would be nice if you could post date and approx time.  Method of capture, timings etc etc, which most try to remember to do so we can learn from each other and make suggestions etc.

I looked at your date and time on the gallery and went into Starry Night to see if I could identify the Moons but was unable to find that configuration.  

Carole

Simon E

The picture was taken via my Nikon.

Just a single image taken via the laptop.

I played around with paintshop pro a lot.

1)

I selected Jupiter first and sorted out the banding on the planet and ignored the moons. This was done by adjusting various settings with colour, brightness, gamma etc etc, until I got the desired effect.

2)
The moons you couldn't actually see unless you zoomed in a long way on Paintshop pro. All I did was select a large area of blackness, not including Jupiter and played with the contrast until, I got a faint dot, ie: one of the moons that I could actually see.
Once they were found, I selected each moon, zoomed right down on it and then played about with the colour, hue, brightness etc, so the moons became almost as bright as the main planet.

The moons as mentioned are very dull compared to the planet, so needed to be really highlighted.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Ian

that's one of the tests to see if you're doing it as best you can. Basically the moons are illuminated as much as Jupiter is and so should show up on the image. However, if your focussing isn't good then the moons will be smeared and possibly invisible.

So nice one Simon, next time, try and image the moons and Jupiter so you need to do less embuggeration with PS.

Then, do the same with Saturn...

Simon E

Stange you say that, I can see them through a eyepiece ie: 40mm, but when i stick the camera on the end and replace the eyepiece then you lose all sight of the moons, however the planet looks like it is in focus :o

Thinking about getting a crayford focuser for the SCT, to see it improves things.

QuoteI looked at your date and time on the gallery and went into Starry Night to see if I could identify the Moons but was unable to find that configuration.
Also got the date totally wrong. Changed now, date was the 10th September 2009 @1:00am

Moons look like from left to right IO, Europa,Ganymeade.

si

mickw

Have you processed the shadow out  :-?

Rick

Simon, the next time you add annotation, please, if possible, also leave the un-annotated version available. Thanks.

Carole

In the re-presentation of the image (now with labels), you've lost the Moon's shadow over Jupiter.

Carole

Ian

and is the moon furthest on the right sponsored by a major telescope manufacturer or did you mean Ganymede? :P

Simon E

It was late when I updated it, put the wrong image back without the shadow, cause I have two images the same, and yes the spelling is wrong, not only was it late but i was also very pi**ed hic hic hic :o
si

Rick

And there's beer! Beer! Beer! Beer!
Did I mention to you that there's beer?

;)

Ian

Mick, have you nicked Rick's login?

mickw

Rick has seen the light  :o
(light ale that is)

Praise be..................................