• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Like a pig in ****...... my m45 reprocess (again)

Started by JohnP, Sep 23, 2009, 09:30:41

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi All,

As you know I have been playing with reprocessing my m45 image recently & made some improvements over the version I published a year ago. Well as a part of the exercise I published my attempts on one of the forums & asked for opinions. Well to cut a long story short I started chatting with 'Mr Noel Carboni' who in case you don't know has amazing mage process capabilities. Anyway, he said he'd have a go at processing if I emailed him the raws... Wow!!! result is unbelievable.. Just shows what you can do with data if you know how to use Pshop properly (he does everything in Pshop).

The data was images I got at les Granges last year so it's good data (no calibration files at all). Most amazing thing for me is increase in size & how smooth it is. If you zoom in & look at centre blue/ orange star in middle you can see another much closer pair of stars that are totally obliterated in my process. Noel is also working on a new star diffraction prog & also sent me a version with spikes added. I am not normally a lover of these but I have to say I am impressed.. you can even see colour in the diffraction spikes.

Well I'm off to reprocess all my old data especially stuff from les granges....  :cheesy:

Anyway - just so it's clear my equipment & raw data - Noel Carboni process....

Cheers,  John

My attempt at reprocessing....

Without spikes (or just the natural ones)

With added spikes - compliments Noel Carboni

Mike

Wow!!! Just shows you that 90% of astrophotography is in the processing. As long as you get decent data it can be processed into fantastic images.

Did he give you a full breakdown of how he did it?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

He did but its about 1 1/2 pages long & I don't understand it all yet... I need to get to grips a bit more with Pshop. It was all done in Pshop by the way....

John

Rocket Pooch

JohnP

good innit...! Need to go & redo all my other LG images...

Daniel

Just did a flick check on your original re-processe and this one, amazing, would love to hear what processing techniques he used on this. the one thing i want to get better at more than anything is retaining star colours.

Daniel
:O)

RobertM

That is pretty amazing!  I'd really like to see how that was done too, star colouration really is one of the most difficult aspects of post processing.

MarkS

A stunning re-process!  I'm also amazed at how the size has been increased.

Though I am not usually a fan of diffraction spikes, I think those new ones actually look almost genuine and in this particular image they add a certain dynamism.

Mark

Carole

Wonderful, sounds like a good subject for the next imaging workshop once you've got your head round it all John.

Carole

JohnP

Mark - it is pretty impressive....

I am happy to share the process details with all but I think it's best to do offline. I can tell you it's all done in Pshop. He imports fits in using fits liberator & a non-linear stretch then first thing he does (at least for my images which are only 640X480) is increased size by 400% using bicubic upsize. Then all subsequent processing is done at this size. Last thing he does (again for my image) was reduced by 50% so basically my image is 200% original size...

John

Mike

Can you post up YOUR original image please John?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Mike I have added my image at top of thread - this was my best attempt prior to Mr Carboni getting involved.....

John

Mike

Fay

John..what can I say, looks fantastic, please God give me a Photoshop brain implant
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Fay - you & me both... I'm not sure that everything he did was scientifically correct but not sure I am too bothered if you end up with a result like that....

John

Fay

I did have a little try at processing but got lost at first hurdle!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Fantastic,

you must post the details of how he did it,