• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Scope building

Started by Simon E, Sep 11, 2009, 15:06:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon E

Always been thinking about building my own scope one day and been having a look at the price of mirrors, etc. However how does one find a supplier for the actually metal tube. Espically if the scope would take something like a 16" main mirror. Bearing in mind this would be a dob, has anyone on the forum herd of a supplier of large long tubes :o

Talked my other half around to building an observator in the back garden, as long as it is right down the bottom, and been looking at the guide to building one in this month SKY AT NIGHT mag.

Any thoughts on tude suppliers would be cool, espically links to websites that produce large tubes.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

MarkS

Quote from: Simon E

Talked my other half around to building an observatory in the back garden ...

Cool - I wish my wife would build me an observatory!

Mark

Simon E

She does loads, she washes the cars, cooks the dinner, does the ironing, now she is getting into observatory building and she doesn't moan once :o.

Some of us have just got it! :twisted:

si :afro:
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Ian

Sonotube is the stuff of choice I believe. It's a cardboard tube used to form cylindrical moulds for casting concrete.

Where you get it from, I'm afraid, is up to you.

You could always try and roll your own from steel sheet, or if you're thinking of 16" or more, build a truss.

Update, a quick google for sonotube indicates there's a cardboard tube manufacturer for postal purposes in Crayford. They're even called Crayford Tubes :)

Simon E

Quote from: MarkS on Sep 11, 2009, 15:27:26
Quote from: Simon E

Talked my other half around to building an observatory in the back garden ...

Cool - I wish my wife would build me an observatory!

Mark

And to top it all I'm not even married :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Although I have now ended up with 4 kids at the weekend :o My two aged 8,9 and her two aged 13,15, The weekends just fly past, can't wait to get back to work :o for a rest.

Thanks Ian will have a look at Crayford Tubes
si

Simon E

Hi all,

Just spoke to Crayford tubes, who are gonna email a price of a 16" tube and a capped 12" tube both being about 6 feet long, just to give me an idea.

Will post the price when I find out.

si

Simon E

Ian

Pah.

I see your little monocular and raise you; a 22" binocular.

http://www.foothill.net/~sayre/22-in.%20binocular.htm

:)

mickw

Cardboard Tube up to 660mm dia x 12 metres long
http://www.cardboardtubes.com/flash.html

While you're there you can go to 
http://www.galvoptics.fsnet.co.uk/telescope2.htm
for your blank and grinding kit
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

QuoteI see your little monocular and raise you; a 22" binocular.

hmmm nice call,

I'll call your 22" binocular and raise you a 330" binocular

http://medusa.as.arizona.edu/lbto/optics.htm  :o

JohnP

Ian

nice one Mac. I don't suppose NASA would make a Hubble twin and sent it up with the original.

Quick chat with the Russians for a ride to it. You might be able to do it for a billion or two. Check down the back of your sofa...