• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First image for yonks - Albireo

Started by Carole, Sep 09, 2009, 02:00:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I finally managed to get out this evening and take my first image for ages, as most of you know because of my injury, and then problems with my laptop.

I'm not going to bore you all with various problems I had this evening, but suffice it to say, focus, software crashing, and processing all featured.  

36 x 15 secs
Darks were done (but could not use due to processing problems, might need a bit of advice here)
B&W only (LRGB filters were planned, but could not use due to focussing problems).

Carole

MarkS

Excellent Carole!  Those 2 stars ars so clear and defined.  Well done.

What are the other technical details i.e. the scope and camera?
Which software did you use for processing?

Was the LX (long exposure) mode working O.K. ?

Mark

Carole

Technical details
8.9.09 around 10.30pm Back garden in Bromley
Telescope aperture and focal ratio: WO Megrez 72 APO, F6 72mm aperture  
Camera and filters used: ASTSC3 , IR filter

Software: I tried using DSS (never used this before), but when I tried to load up the files nothing happened.  It doesn't seem to like importing AVI files which is what K3 saves as. So I went back to Registax, but that wouldn't recognise the format of the dark file, which was why I couldn't use it.  (This is where I might be glad of some advice).

QuoteWas the LX (long exposure) mode working O.K. ?
I can only say, I think it so.  

K3 crashing:
As you know you got me a new serial adapter and my laptop said it had found new hardware and did I want to install.  I said yes initially, but then it threw a wobbly when I tried to install, and after that K3 kept crashing when I tried to do any more subs, (one of the reasons why I only did 36 x 15mins, and one of the reasons why I did not do LRGB)  

Focus Problems: I found I could not focus at all if I put anything more than just the webcam on the scope, including the filter wheel, which seems a bit strange when every-one told me this telescope was suitable for DS imaging.  So any thoughts on doing LRGB or any deeper sky objects are impossible until I find out what is going on here.  I am going to try the camera (for focus purposes only on my old ETX to see if I get better focus on that as it seemed as though I needed to go beyond the furthest point of the Megrez).  

Boy am I making slow progress!!!!

Carole

RobertM

Very good start Carole, nicely focused and looks like you've got the stacking sussed.

Daniel

Wonderfull Image Carole, stars are nice and perfectly round, focus looks spot on and the contrast is lovely, great to see you imaging again, Alberio is a fantastic target too, never tire of seeing it!

Daniel
:O)

Ian

Carole, I'm touched you did an image for me.

Hang on, you said Yonks.

Oh.

As you were...

Mac

Nice image.
QuoteBoy am I making slow progress!!!!

its the first step on a very long ladder.
Everyones been there.
and now your on your way,

Dont give up, just think, every one here who images started where you are today,

so so the next chalenge is to get the 33ms pulsar in the crab nebula as a HD Avi, :lol:
Just kidding.

Small steps and before you know it you will be getting images as good as anyone else.

Mac.

Carole

Thanks every-one for your nice comments, I must say there have been times when I have thought of jacking it all in, but something keeps me going despite all the problems, I just feel bad that I have to rely so much on every-one else to help me through my difficulties.

Has any-one got any comments on the problems I had?

Focus was really annoying because I had Vega in the eyepiece and could see it on the screen (blown up and out of focus when I had extra gadgets attached, but just could not shrink it down into focus).   

Do any of you PC experts think I have messed up K3 by trying to install the new hardware (see above)?  also is there any free or cheap software out there I could use as an alternative?

QuoteHang on, you said Yonks.
:lol:

Carole

Mac

QuoteFocus was really annoying because I had Vega in the eyepiece and could see it on the screen (blown up and out of focus when I had extra gadgets attached, but just could not shrink it down into focus).

quite a simple problem to sort out (sort of)

Firstly you have a focal length of your telescope. (call it 400mm)

400mm from the front end of the telescope is where an image will be produced which will be infocus.

The problem you have is that the camera is not at this point.
The challenge is to work out if you are before this point or after this point.

1) get the image onto the camera, and look at the size of the star
2) move the focuser out and take another image, if the size of the star has shrunk then you are going in the right direction
towards the point of focus. If you run out of focus travel you will need to extend the distance between the end of the scope and the camera. (use a diagonal)
3) if its the other way, and bringing in the focuser shrinks the image then you have to shorten the distance between the end of your scope and the camera. (more of a challenge)

Mac.

Carole

Quoterun out of focus travel
That was my problem, I could see it shrinking as I moved the focus knob, but got to the end of the travel and it was only a slightly smaller out of focus ball.  Only way I could focus, was by removing the filter wheel or barlow (I tried the barlow in case it was the other way).  As soon as I removed the filter wheel and there was only the camera, I could easily focus again.  I was using a diagonal. 

I think it's this one
Quote3) if its the other way, and bringing in the focuser shrinks the image then you have to shorten the distance between the end of your scope and the camera. (more of a challenge)
- so what do I do then?

Carole

Mac

Quote- so what do I do then?

saw a length off of your telescope ;)

you might have to add focal reducers, ect,

but i'd say 99.99% chance its the first one,
you might have to get a two inch extension tube or similar.
Have a chat with fay, im sure she has bought an extension tube.

JohnP

carole don't use the diagonal........!!

Carole

Quotecarole don't use the diagonal........!!
Oh!  Is this normal then? 
I guess I use it because otherwise you have to crane your neck into awkward positions.
OK, I'll try that for when the camera is inserted and I don't need to use an eyepiece.

I did think about a focal reducer, but found it hard to believe, because where would focus be if I wanted to look at something really small and wanted to use the barlow or the 5x powermate?  All I'm trying to do is focus a star. 

Quoteyou might have to get a two inch extension tube or similar.
I've got an short extension tube, but it seems to me that is going in the opposite direction, it seems to wants less distance rather than more.  (i.e. when I insert the filter wheel I get the problem, take it out and problem goes away). 

I'll give all those suggestions a try and see what happens.

Thanks

Carole

JohnP

Carole the diagonal adds significant length to the path the light has to take to reach the CCD & as a result & as you have already discovered you cannot move the focusser in enough. I am sure if you remove the diagonal then you will be able to focus. It is normal not to use a diagonal for imaging not only does it give you problems like you have seen but it can also cause optical/ quality issues with your images. TAKE IT OUT... :-)

John

Ian

absolutely remove the diagonal. I've got a Megrez 72 and there is no way you'll reach focus with one in the way.