• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pimp my Dob

Started by mickw, Aug 31, 2009, 11:55:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon E

I would use a hammer drill, worked for me when i was mounting a rear view mirror in the other half's car :o

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Fay

I think this is going to call for a soothing drink Mick, don't like to force you though :lol:
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Mick,

Speak to Chris, as he had the same problem to overcome.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Quotea soothing drink
QuoteSpeak to Chris

Both admirable suggestions..............................
As I may see Chris on fight night, it leaves this evening free for Fay's suggestion  :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: mickw on Sep 23, 2009, 14:00:01
Just picked up the mirror after re-coatong - Ooh Shiny  :)

The centre collimating dot has gone though, fortunately this means I will now be in a position to destroy all the  fine work Galvoptics have done  :cry:

Ah ha, ok thats easy to cure, I used to pieces of cotton and just taped them at right anges until I thought they crossed ok then I measure it just to check, took 5 mins.

John, your technique is safer, can you explain?

JohnP

It was something along lines of get a sheet of paper (probably A3 for your mirror) & draw a circle on it same diameter as mirror. Cut it out & fold in quarters to find centre. Then cut a small hole (slightly larger than one of those sticky paper reinforcers in the middle). Lay paper on mirror & then gently place hole reinforcer sticky side down in midle hole...

Hope that makes sense,

john

mickw

Thanks for that chaps, John's way sounds safest for me - it'll keep my fat fingers away from the surface.

Sadly it sounds like a "no beer" job  :(

mickw

Forgot to mention tonight..................
As you know the lightbridge is completely stripped down - possibly a bad move removing secondary from spider though  :-?

After the spotting of the primary and reassembly will come the C word - collimation.
I intend to use the method demonstrated by Chris at Blacklands - eyeball down the tube at 20 paces to adjust the primary, then align the secondary to the primary as it will also be completely out of whack.
I'm thinking that I should at least be able to get something reasonable as a starting point for proper alignment later.

Am I going about it the right way ?

Mike

I thought you had a laser collimator? Using that is far and above the easiest way to collimate it. Collimate the secondary first, then the primary.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

QuoteI thought you had a laser collimator
I have, I was just thinking of getting things eyeballed first as everything is/will be really messed up  :(

So, laser it is then  :)

Cheers

Ian

you will of course put the fricking laser on your head, won't you...

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Mike on Sep 25, 2009, 07:47:30
I thought you had a laser collimator? Using that is far and above the easiest way to collimate it. Collimate the secondary first, then the primary.

Hi,

Because its a parabolic mirror (like a bowel) you can use a laser align it and still have the mirror out, the think I showed Mick was just to ensure the primary was set first.

Then use the laser.

Chris

mickw

Yep, that's what I meant  :oops:

Ian

Mick, have you got access to a cheshire? Once you've got your head around what you're looking at (and that's not hard, start from the outside and work in, they work a treat.

This is one of the best explanations I've seen on using one, including a discussion regarding what doesn't get centred (hint, the secondary reflection *shouldn't* be centred).

Fay

Think it may call for a drink when you have read the article, Mick, it made me head for the bottle!! :o
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!