• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pimp my Dob

Started by mickw, Aug 31, 2009, 11:55:37

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

I've started to strip down the lightbridge to clean it and repaint as necessary.

I've got the primary out of the tube but it seems attached to the carrier - Is it glued in or is it more likely to be crup ?
Would soaking shift it ?

Oh, I'm also gonna wait until the sun goes behing the house afternearly cooking my belly  :oops:

Cheers

*Sorted, double sided tape now sliced through with dental floss*  :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

I've got a really bad feeling about this.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Nothing to fret about, got most of the crud off with brillo pads and ajax  ;)
I remembered what you said about only wiping the pads across the mirror once  :)

OK, at ease  :lol:
I wanted to get the mirror out of the carrier so I could clean it without making anything else rusty
Propped it up at about 30 deg. and used a spray of ordinary water for about 10 mins to soften anything that wasn't soft, then flooded it with de-ionised water.
Then couple of drops washing liquid in de-I water wiped with pukka cotton wool to remove somones fat finger mark on the edge  :oops:
Then wiping with straight de-I water and cotton wool (one wipe per cotton ball).
Finally blow dried with hot air gun at about a foot away.
Looks better than what it was but is still spotty, probably water staining.

I know it's probably OK (certainly was as DSC), but while I've got it in bits, it seems daft not to get it re-coated for the sake of £30

While that's being done I can concentrate on getting the chrome, graphics and sound system done  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike

After I cleaned it it had spots on it. I'm afraid it was left out in the rain once or twice too many times at DSC. But, as you say you can get it recoated for not a lot of dosh so it will be worth it to have an as good as new dob again.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

I blame Swine Measles  ;)

RobertM

QuoteWhile that's being done I can concentrate on getting the chrome, graphics and sound system done

Don't forget the dice  :lol: :lol: :lol:

mickw

The dice - I forgot the dice  :o

Ian

and pink leopardskin

Whitters

I hope you didn't forget the scented tree

mickw

Doh

Leopard skin...........
Tree..............

Memory broken...................
Must have beer..........................
:lol:

RobertM

I think the tree might defeat the photons trying to get to the mirror - Thats only my personal opinion mind you.  Remember this is supposed to be a telescope  :o 

Mike

Don't forget the 5 mile long dew shield so you can see through the clouds.

Ian

I think it'd look really trick with little blue LEDs in the windscreen washer nozzles. and fluorescent green downlights underneath so it looks like it's floating as it goes along.

Mick, are you planning on going as far as lowering the suspension?

Tony G

Mac,

Didn't you take some photos of the Dob, so people could re-design it for Mick, with pretty colours and fur etc. in photoshop.

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

The Thing

Nodding dog?! Nice touch when you line up on another beer bottle deep sky object.