• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Propeller, Cave & Soap.......

Started by JohnP, Aug 27, 2009, 12:47:51

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Ok Finally got around to processing images from DSC + one I had taken the week before in Bromley. Not too exciting but here they are:- Anyway let me know what you think - comments appreciated as usual - John.

1. Propeller Nebula in Cygnus.
Robert tempted me to have a go at this one after the lovely widefield shot he posted a few weeks back. Image taken at BlackLands on the Thursday night - Details 22 X 5mins Ha + 5 X 5mins R,G,B (taken on the Friday night). I have shown both LRGB & Ha only.

2. Cave Nebula aka C9 or Sh2-155 in Cepheus.
Only managed to get some Ha on this on thursday night after the Propeller & before dew put a stop to play. Managed to grab 11 X 500secs Ha only. It's actually quite a dim object & could do with a whole lot more exposure. I may try & add some to it from Bromley as it is quite an interesting nebula.

3. Soap Bubble Nebula...
This near perfect spherical planetary nebula has only recently been discovered (July 2008) & has been in the press recently. The object is extremely faint (the main reason it hasn't been detected before) & is located close to the Crescent Nebula in Cygnus. I thought I would give this a try after not imaging since May 31st. To be honest I was really just wanting to test guiding etc. Anyway I imaged same area of sky over two nights from Bromley & captured a total of 24 X 10mins in Ha (4 hrs total). The image has been aggressively stretched & you can just about see the sphere. You may need to adjust your screens to see it (but it is there) - I have added a 2nd image below to show you the location..... I was quite suprised to get this at all....

Fay

Well, John, what a nice portfolio!!!!! All a nice change, they have come out really well. Colour came out well
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

good selection of images, loads to add to my growing todo list. :)

RobertM

John, I'm really glad to see you imaging again and such fantastic results too. They've all come out really well!  I agree the cave needs a lot of exposue time but it looks really good.

That planetary looks very tough so that was an excellent capture.  Have been tempted myself but I didn't think it was possible from Orpington skies - well done!

You've really brought out the propeller detail and rgb is just what it needed; I like that a lot.

Great stuff
Robert

JohnP

Thks Fay, Mac - Seems so much easier get good colour data from a darker site.

Robert - Thks for comments - My close up Propeller compares nicely with your wider FOV. Definitely go for the Soap Bubble - If I can do it from Bromley with my kit - I'm sure with your scope/ camera & your ability to do 20min subs you'll nail it no problem. Would be good to see it wider field as well. I was tempted to do a fe subs on this from BlackLands to see what difference a darker site made but I never got the chance.

Cheers,  John

RobertM

QuoteSeems so much easier get good colour data from a darker site.

Narrowband too...

Daniel

Gorgeous Images John, amazed you got the soap bubble from bromley! cave nebula looks so interesting, love the wall formed along the front of it, would love to try this some time.

Daniel
:O)

JohnP

QuoteNarrowband too...

Well the L was narrow band (Ha) but colour was just regular R,G,B...

John

The Thing

MarkS

Great selection of images John.  I think my favourite is the Cave - it's very unusual and probably worth shooting more data.

Well done for getting the Soap Bubble!

Mark

JohnP

Thks Dunc, Mark - your comments are appreciated. I will definitely try adding to the 'Cave' next time out - perhaps some colour as well. It's actually part of a much larger field of nebulous gas & so could probably benefit from a nice widefield shot with a DSLR... :-)

John