• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The "Wizard" Nebula in Cepheus Mk2

Started by RobertM, Aug 24, 2009, 18:12:06

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This image was taken on Sunday night at DSC through, the skies were really very good apart from a lot of high cloud passing through from time to time.  I wasn't happy with my Ha attempt last year so the DSC allowed me to re image and hopefully improve.

The "Wizard" nebula (NGC 7380) in the constellation of Cepheus is so called because it looks like a Wizard sitting in his chair.  Also in the Image is the very faint SH2-142 towards the lower left.

This is one of my favourite nebulas, it has so much detail with extended subs and should be on everyone's list.

I used the Takahashi Sky90 refractor at 405mm f/l with an SXV-H9 camera and Astronomik 13nm Ha, OIII and SII filters.  A total of 100mins in 10 min subs for each channel with the filters being mapped as Ha = red, OIII = green and SII = blue.  One googly I made was to focus with the luminance filter for the Ha subs - Doh!  I do need massively more subs on the Ha channel, possibly another 2hrs or more to bring out all the detail.

TFL
Robert

Daniel

Beautifull image Robert, and a nebula I hadn't heard about, this is now going to the top of my "to-do" list, one question, how faint is this as I notice you've used some very long subs there and obviously this is in a dark site, so Im guessing this isn't something to be attempted from the sub-urbs.

Daniel
:O)

MarkS

Robert,

That's the first time I've seen this nebula.  What an interesting object!  It's a great image you've got there (as always!)

Mark

Fay

Great image Robert, you will have to give me lessons on processing narrowband
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Very interesting nebula. Nice image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Very nice indeed Robert. Are the colours really as shown - I've never seen an object with so much yellow.. - it is quite a strange object & definitely on my todo list. It looks great.

John

Ian

I wish it could be Christmas every day...

Oh.

Nice image Robert, I've not even heard of that one :)

RobertM

Thanks for the positive comments.

Daniel, this is quite faint butnothing seems to be beyond you these days so have a go!

Fay, I'm still learning myself !

John, I've just balanced the channels via equalise background  in Maxim and this is the way it turned out.  I'll have another go and see what happens but with NB there are 6 combinations with the 3 filters so the colours are what you make them.

Ian, I bet you grow a beard that time of year and don a Santa outfit too ;)

Ian

Quote from: RobertM on Aug 25, 2009, 13:51:25
Ian, I bet you grow a beard that time of year and don a Santa outfit too ;)

Me? No patience. I'm dressed like that right now...

Tony G

Robert,

I see you made it into December's 'Sky at Night' with this.
Well Done.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Mac

very nice.
Love those colours.

Cant see the Wizard, they must have been on some fantastic drug fuelled trips when they saw these,

However saying that i can see Virgin Atlantics Scarlet lady in it though. (Drug free)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/Fatmonkey/Budget%20Airlines/Virgin%20Atlantic/Virgin2.jpg
although its facing the other way and dosent have the union jack.

Mac.

Fay

Well done Robert. I have the mag but did not see it!!!!!! :roll:

RobertM

Oh, I wasn't very hopeful but am very happy to have made it in there.  I'm not sure when it hit's the shelves but I tried to buy it at Smiths in Bromley today but no joy :(

Robert

Fay