• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Skywatcher Explorer 200P

Started by Tony G, Aug 16, 2009, 16:34:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi all,

With all the problems I had with the car in recent times (and the cost) the new Skywatcher Pro refractor went out the window, and a very large window at that. Well I was sorting through some old bits and pieces just to sell on because of the lack of use by me, and I ended up pricing items off the internet, but while looking, I bloody ended up finding an ex-demo scope (OTA) with all the bits and pieces, eyepieces, finder scope, etc. for a really good price and last months winner in the 8" scopes group test in 'the sky at night' mag.
The thing that makes it worse is that I asked Chris if he fancied a trip to Ely on Saturday morning, to pick the said scope, and when we got there it was like kids in a sweet shop, A BIG sweet shop.
At the end of it though I had purchased the scope, and a set of bino-viewers for Flis, with some eyepieces(which I have to explain to her that they only work with a scope  :-?, and they are NOT binoculars. Hope she likes them.)  but this was only after Chris had bought some, and he forced me to get the same, and my arm still hurts where he had it twisted up my back.
Well as all the mount and bits are packed away until the DSC at the weekend, first light won't be until then, unless I get Flis to strap the scope to her back and she remains completely still.

So don't expect any cloudy nights until next week.  :(

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Tony G

Following on from the previous thread, I have an EQ-1 Mount (tabletop) with RA motor drive. I purchased this about a year ago on Astro Buy & Sell and have never used it, it comes in the original box with instructions and battery power pack with additional batteries, and am asking £60.
If anyone is interested, PM me, otherwise it will be on eBay on Wednesday or Thursday. Below is a link to the same mount that i'm selling.

http://www.cameracentre.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=361

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Tony - That scope looks pretty nice I look forward to having a look through it especially with Flis's binoviewers... I have never looked through any of those before.

John

PS - I am currently trying to persuade my wife that I need to buy her an Atik 314L for our 20th wedding anniversary but she having none of it.... :-(

Tony G

John,

That's where you are going wrong.
You first buy, THEN you tell her what you got her, for the anniversary. ;)

Tony G

Mac

JohnP

Cheers mate - I am obviously doing it all wrong - Its plain to see I need to speak with an expert... - Can I book an hour with you Tony over the weekend.....?

John

Tony G

John,

That should be fine, between 3-4pm on Saturday, after I've ordered Flis down to the lake to catch the biggest carp they have, or enough to feed us all, and not to come back until she has!  ;)

Tony G

Tony G

Did anyone notice that it was clear early yesterday evening, but then got cloudy about 9pm.
I think the reason was that at about 8.30pm I was tempted out to the garden, and contemplated taking the new scope out.
Won't do that again!  :oops:

Tony G

MarkS

I did notice.  The sky was clear, the forecast was for a clear night so I set up in the garden waiting for dusk.  Then it clouded over.

At least I know who to blame!

I was going to continue my ongoing  sequence of experiments with the Celestron and Alan Gee focal reducers on my C11 to see which configuration and CCD spacing gives the best overall approximation to a decent image i.e. no field curvature and free from coma, free from astigmatism and free of chromatic aberration.

Mark

Ian

Mark, you missed free of charge, free of cloud, free beer and free love.