• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC6960 the Witches Broom in false colour

Started by RobertM, Aug 12, 2009, 22:11:02

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This nebula is the western part of the Veil supernova remnant in Cygnus; it exploded about 6,000 years ago and is somewhere in the region of 2,000 light years away.  The entire network of filaments of the whole nebula covers an area roughly equivalent to 30 times the area of the full moon.

Usual culprits were used to take this image: Starlight Xpress SXV-H9 camera, Takahashi Sky90 refractor at f/4.5.  Ionised elements were mapped as Red representing Ha, Green OIII and Blue SII; 11 exposures of 600 seconds through each filter.

This was unfinished business from the last clear night that I could image on (16th July).   Unfortunately the subs didn't quite line up properly due to rotation and the Moon was too close giving high background counts.  Yes it does have the Astronomik Halos which I tried to process out - need to learn more PhotoShop!

Any comments gratefully received:

Fay

That's nice, Robert, I have left my camera in position as I would like to try my OIII SII filters. At least you have a lot of information collected, so you can process more at your leisure until you are happy. Is that your first OIII, SII image?

As we have not been outside for a long time, it is hard to remember all the processing twists and turns.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Thanks Fay, Yes it's my first with the SII filter as well.   The Sulphur line is quite weak on this one, the strongest by far is OIII.

Needs brightening up a bit!

JohnP

Nice Robert - tons of wispy detail... The colours are very saturated (is that normal for this type of processing).

John

RobertM

QuoteThe colours are very saturated (is that normal for this type of processing).

Hmmm... Interesting and thanks for pointing that out.  This is my first real attempt in integrating the SII data so for now I think I'll just put it down to ignorance in processing.  I'll give it another go in a weeks time when I get back.

Thanks
Robert 

JohnP

So I guess you'll be missing DSC... :-(

Have a good time..

John

RobertM

Yes John, infortunately I will miss it.  I'll take some kit with me but there won't be much room between the cases  :(

Hope the DSC goes well and you get some good weather !

Rocket Pooch

Nice one Rob, I might have another go at that soon :-)

I'm away with my kit this weekend and next weeked at DSC and the Caravan is fixed ahead of schedule yay!

Fay

Rocket Pooch

Nope got the old one fixed up a bit, probably bring it along for the weekend.

Ian

I'll be looking out for you on "Pimp My Pikey". Did you get that bubble-filled hot tub put in?

MarkS

Nice one Robert.  Lots of detail there and good sharp stars as always!

How do you know the halos are caused by the filters?

Mark

Fay

Well, Chris, at least we still have the wind break come light diffuser that is the pikey

RobertM

Mark, Someone did a test against another well known German make and concluded that the anti reflective coatings were inferior and cause halos on bright stars.   Astronomik of course deny there is a problem but I have heard there are improved filters on the way.  I had to process out three halos on the Ha channel in this image !

Daniel

Gorgeous image Robert, looking really whispy, and your stars are pin sharp across the board!

Daniel
:O)