• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp Dates for 2009

Started by Mike, Nov 27, 2008, 06:27:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

QuoteIs your fridge a "dual fuel" one i.e. can it run off either electrickery or gas?
It only runs on electricity.  (N.B. Elec trickery might be good though!!) 
I had a job to find one to suit my purposes and pocket, as most of the fridges were huge and took up loads of space in the car. So I went for one which is about the same size as a cool box, which suits me fine size wise, I'm not taking huge quantities of food with me.  Therefore didn't get much option over whether it was Electric or Gas.

QuoteWhenever we go to Woodlands, Carole, if you use hookup, you will be in a different part of the field to everyone else.
I know, but don't understand why the chosen place for OAS was right up against the trees anyway.  Far beit for me to tell every-one where to go, but I would have thought halfway between the trees and the Hooks ups would have been a better all round observing place anyway.

QuoteDuncan had a hookup & we could not even see him, so he moved his tent into our non hookup area, as he was on his own.
Maybe if enough people choose hook up, things might change.

Just got back from Physio and I've been booked in for my next appointment on the Monday of DSC.  I knew the date rang a bell, but couldn't think why.  I think it's going to be too much of a rush after my holiday now anyway.  I'll wait until the next DSC. 

It looks like the vote is going for Blacklands, and I think it would be a good idea to test out a few sites before we decide on a regular venue.  I was not all that happy with Woodlands as it was so crowded, and as I said before couldn't understand why we were up against the trees.

Carole

Fay

The tree position was the last large site available, Carole, all the rest of the field was booked. The hookups are near the caravans etc, & would not be so dark as the other side 
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Being by the caravans at Woodlands was not good for dark adaptation. There were a lot of porch lights and so on. Also it was very antisocial.  I now have a pro-social leisure battery :D

Do Blacklands require all plots to be booked? I think maybe so or they wouldn't have a booking form on their website... The site rules say no un-affiliated groups allowed. We are affiliated so would it be a good idea to enquire about a block booking of pitches?

Tony G

When we were at Woodlands, I thought the trees were a bit of an advantage, as if everyone was camped further out you would be totally surrounded by campers, whereas the trees provided some privacy and we were able to move the equipment far enough out from the tents, caravans and campervans for everyone to have a good field of view.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

I thought the last DSC was one of the best. so entertaining

Carole

QuoteThe tree position was the last large site available, Carole, all the rest of the field was booked
Ah, that explains the last one.  But is it an assumption that we will always be in that area?

Also, I suppose we did pick a very busy weekend, maybe we don't need to be so far over when it's less crowded. 

Anyway, if the group decide to stay in the same spot at Woodlands, I suppose I don't have to do my Astronomy next to my tent, as I'm only using hook up for domestic things.  I'm sure there is a way around it.  But still would be interesting to compare other sites.

Carole

Tony G

Quote from: Fay on Aug 06, 2009, 20:10:24
I thought the last DSC was one of the best. so entertaining

I think it was the well organised BBQ, and the not so organised distribution of alcohol.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay