• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

August DSC

Started by Tony G, Aug 02, 2009, 14:45:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Any decision yet on where the August DSC is going to be held, as there has been a few venues mentioned.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

how about Kent.  8)

Mike

Unless someone comes up with a decent site it will be Woodlands again. If you have an alternative location then let us know.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Mike

Looks good. Can Chris and Tony give us their opinion of this compared to Woodlands please?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

I personally liked it at Blacklands. It has adequate facilities i.e. showers block, toilets and electrical hook ups (but no sheep :() but I think the opinions of either Robert or Chris would be more valued as I was only observing as usual but they may have a different view for the astrophotography side of things.
The area is bigger and so we could set up somewhere, and not disturb the other campers (if any are still about after this scorching summer we've had) and a nice looking lake for the course fishermen in the society...............................Mmmmmm BBQ'd Gudgeon and stickleback kebabs.

Anyway I am not to fussed where I go, because I know deep down that anywhere I am, I'll be amongst my dearest friends.  :-?

Well over to you Chris/Robert.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

Lydd gets my vote for the darkest skies (and Curry) but would be more exposed if it's windy; Blacklands is much closer plus TonyG can have his BBQ and fish Kebabs.  Who knows whether one will be any less packed than any other but I'd stick that high up on my priority list.  You might also find the hookups getting booked up.

Chris?

Mike

So let's take a vote. Blacklands or Woodlands?

My vote is to give Blacklands a try.

Rocket Pooch

Blacklands is ok, I have been there a few times and I have no issues with it appart from the grass can be a little long.  Woodlands we have been there a few times and thats ok.

I'll go with the flow, both sites you can do non-filtered LRGB imaging and both are quite dark.

JohnP

i'm hoping to go this time.. (yes I know shock horror...!!!!) My vote would be BlackLands if only that Woodlands seemed a wee bit manic the last time we were there.....

Rocket Pooch

I poped into blacklands last week, they now have a boat and cows

MarkS

Quote from: Space Dog
they now have a boat

Excellent, we'll be able to get about after heavy rain ...

Tony G

Can someone with a bit of know how, put one of these voting thingys on this thread and we can then see who wants to go where?

Tony G

Rick

Done... I hope...

Tony G

Thanks Rick.

Tony G

Mike

Quote from: Space Dog on Aug 04, 2009, 18:13:32
I poped into blacklands last week, they now have a boat and cows

Are the cows allowed to use the boat?

Tony G

Yes they are, as they are the only ones that can steer it.......................................with the UDDER at the back.  :lol: :lol:

Tony G

PS...............................Sorry about that.

Rocket Pooch

I would not milk that joke for moo long...

Mike

Turn the udder cheek and mooo-ve on.

Rocket Pooch

Just as well is summer or we would be Friesian  :o

doug

I suppose that these are the cream of the crop ........
Always look on the bright side of life ...

mickw

On previous Society visits to Woodlands, were these visits during the summer months avoiding Bank Holidays ?

Were they as chaotic as our last visit ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

We've only been once before. It was in the summer but on a non-Bank Holiday weekend and we had most of the lower part of the field to ourselves.

According to teh survey only 8 people are going to DSC this time.

If you haven't voted then please do so.

Rocket Pooch

I guess that 8 going, 7 of whom would not care where it is given enough drink, Frodo is comming does that count as 9?

Mike

OK the majority is for Blacklands so we will hold it there.

mickw

I thought Frodo  ate for 2 - so that would be 10  :lol:

Tony G

Well I'm booked up for the weekend and Flis has decided to join me, but I don't know why?  :-?
She says it's because it's our Wedding Anniversary on the saturday. but I said that I didn't need reminding, that I remembered the other 18, or was it 20. Well at least I remembered the date.  :oops:
That's when the fighting started.

Tony G

PS......................Flis has pointed out to me in a rather stern voice, that we have been happily married for 10 years, married for 22, but only 10 of them were happily.   ;)

The Thing

I'll be there - but have a barbecue to go to Saturday afternoon - but I may just make excuses if:
a) the weather is too good
and/or
b) I have too big a hangover Saturday a.m.
and
c) I pay for a taxi to take my Fiona to the aforementioned food cremation activity thus staying happily married.

Mac

due to work commitments,
Im going to try and get down either sat or sun or both.

This years been a tad hectic.

Mac.

mickw

What is everyones planned arrival time ?

If by some miracle I get there first, where is the favoured area ?
*OK, just read my booking reply - space reserved for our party*

Didn't know we were having a party  :lol:

JohnP

Mick - still not 100% sure - I will definitely be there Friday morning but may well go Thursday if weather looks good for Thurs night...

Still in process of trying to arrange for all kids to be away & the misses so I can have a blissful, stressfree weekend all to myself....

John

The Thing

I'm aiming for 2pm Friday, a good southerly and easterly view and a nice flat spot for the tent.

Did a check of my latest imaging control configuration Thursday night 10:00 -04:00 (12v PC under scope with everything connected to it, it doing the guiding and passing photos back to the laptop via network cable, 12pc controlled via WinVNC). All went amazingly well.

Clear skies and full glasses!

Mike

I'm probably going to get down about 6pm.

Ian

unfortunately, I won't. Family commitments :(

Have fun without me :(

Tony G

:( :( :( :(

Who is going to be fool enough to try the chilli sauce, now that Ian isn't there.

Tony G

Tony G

:twisted:

Maybe Fay.

Tony G

JohnP

Tony - If she tries that it'll be 'Kabooommmmmmm FAY!!!!!!!!!!! ' :-)

mickw

Quote'Kabooommmmmmm FAY!!!!!!!!!!! '

mickw

QuoteWho is going to be fool enough to try the chilli sauce, now that Ian isn't there.

I reckon Frodo will be up for it    ;)

Mac

Im up for it.

I've managed to wangle two nights off, Fri and Sat, so i'll be there from Fri,

Still trying to get the sunday night off. :lol: :lol:

Note to self.
Install software on PC and test!!.
:cheesy:

Mac.

The Thing

At a risk of causing flooding - it looks like it's going to be a lovely weekend. :) :)

Ian

Quote from: Dunc on Aug 19, 2009, 15:52:34
At a risk of causing flooding - it looks like it's going to be a lovely weekend. :) :)

glad I'm not going now. You're all going swimming thanks to Dunc's inability to keep his gob shut.  :twisted:  :cheesy:

MarkS

We'll need the boat and cow now ...