• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Playing with old images...

Started by JohnP, Jul 10, 2009, 13:37:01

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Since I haven't imaged anythiing new for ages been looking at some old data. I took below image of m57 about a year ago... It's not very good & loads wrong with it anyway thought I'd have a play with Deconvolution filter in aip4win (never tried this before).. I enlarged image X2 & then cropped & played with filter - pretty amazing difference on the nebula. It's looking a bit pixelated due to X2 enlargement but other than that I'm quite impressed... just goes to show what's hidden in the data... I must try m57 again perhaps with a X2 barlow for image scale..

John

RobertM

That is impressive John, I've not used deconvolution with any great success but it just shows what can be achieved in the right hands.  You should try stacking double sized subs rather than resampling the final image, I've had some success with that.

Cheers
Robert

JohnP

Yep - I remember you saying that about the X2 thing - I will try over the weekend. I was impressed with all the banding & cloud structure in the neb that came out - I even compared it with 'hubble images' etc. to make sure it was real & that it wasn't deconvolution artifacts...

John

Daniel

Bloody hell that really is incredible, I've always fallen flat on my face when trying to apply deconvolution which settings did you use?

Daniel
:O)

JohnP

Thks Daniel,

In Aip4Win you have choice of Van Cittert & Lucy-Richardson (fast or slow). I found the LR didn't make much difference but the VC algorithm had a big effect. I did 16 iterations with a relaxation factor of .05 (don't ask me what that is...)

John

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Tony mate - if you have got aip4win you'd know what I was talking about - don't ask me what it means though all I know is it improved me image....!!!!