• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello from Arif

Started by JustCruzin, Jul 08, 2009, 11:33:45

Previous topic - Next topic

JustCruzin

Bit the bullet and thought I had better say hi!

This OAS group really looks awsome and I hope I can fit in. I live in Swanley and work as an Emergency Medicine Doctor at the Princess Royal University Hospital in Farnborough, Kent.

I have been a fan of astronomy since childhood but lost touch with it during my medical training years but now would like to ignite my passion for this once again.

Just bought an 8" SCT and hoping to find a less light polluted area near Swanley real soon hopefully with help from the OAS.

The very warmest of wishes to all.

Arif

Rick

Welcome, Arif. Thanks for introducing yourself.

JohnP

Hi Arif,

Welcome from me to. Hope to meet you at one of the meetings soon.

John

RobertM

Welcome Arif.  I'm sure you'll fit in and look forward to meeting you at one of the monthly meetings.

Jim

Welcome Arif, look forward to meeting you.

Mike

Welcome Arif. There's an Observing Session on the 21st. Can you make it?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Greetings from Mac.

Quotehoping to find a less light polluted area near Swanley real soon

Love the sense of humour, always helps when your an astronomer, you defiantly need one with our weather and light pollution issues. ;)

Rye marshes is probably the best in the south east. Mag 6 in the middle.
Depends on how far you want to travel really.

Mike

Middle of the English Channel?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Welcome Arif,

May I just say that Swanley is an area with very dark skies for some of us.  ;)
Others have already mentioned Monthly meetings and observing evenings, but we also venture into the wilderness on a few occasions, with offical DSC's in Kent and unoffical one in Sussex and Kent and anywhere that'll have us really.
So look forward to meeting you Arif and welcome again.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JustCruzin

Gosh- thanks for all being so welcoming!

Where I live in Swanley is admitedly probably got slightly darker skies than some other localities , however, where I live seems to be 'streetlamp heaven' with a nearby local sports ground with one of those rather large flood lights which turns night into day....

I will endeavour to attend a meeting as soon as possible. Thanks again for your kind words of welcome.  :cheesy:

I remember Lenny Henry once stating that he ended up in a place so dark that if he closed his eyes he could see better.....!