• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

hello everyone

Started by StarGazer, Jan 03, 2004, 21:04:00

Previous topic - Next topic

StarGazer

Thought id introduce myself, since im trying to become a member of the club.
I presently own a pair of binoculars (10x50) and for the first time have seen the orion nebular (ok its like a dried sneeze on my lens - but it is there! - its not got any colour to it at all , i guess colour comes with cost? )

Anyway id like to get friendly with any local individuals who may like to share their knowledge outside club meetings. Imagine im a complete virgin to this science - you get the idea?

btw im in sidcup/blackfen area.

Over to you sir/madam.

Ian

Hi there.

Everything up there has colour, but due to limitiations of human eyesight, you won't see it at the eyepiece. Planets and a good number of stars are an exception.

If you want to meet us, your best bet is to come along to one of the meetings, either an observing evening or a lecture. We're not too formal :wink: so come along. On 22nd of January we have Piers Corbyn talking about his theories regarding the sun and our weather together with an anecdote or two about his rather unusual funding sources. Follow the meeting link on main website (which I assume you used to find the forum?)

look forward to meeting you.

Sue

Hello,
Just to add to Ian's reply we are always pleased to welcome anyone interested in astronomy to meetings or our friendly informal observing sessions - whether they have been stargazing for years or have only recently become interested.Our membership is wide ranging and comprises some people quite new to the hobby, some old hands and all stages between.
Hope to meet you at one of our meetings.
Sue.

Greg

Was this a New Years resolution - get involved in an astronomical group. Well, even if it was or not you are most welcome. As Ian has already said why not come along to our next observing session or the next meeting. Nobody will force you to join - take your time and see if you like it.

Look forward to seeing you then.

StarGazer

I will probably attend the next observing meeting at tripes farm.
At present the observing part interests me a great deal. I have been using starry night pro for sometime now to get an idea of what areas of sky interest me the most. - but as in my last message, seeing the nebular really made a passing interest into  more interest.

So... i look forward to the next tripes farm expidition. :smile: