• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pier Progress

Started by Fay, Jun 27, 2009, 18:33:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Fay,

You must be bringing your car to the same garage as me?   ;)

By the way, if John is looking for any work, I could get him into a groundworks gang, but he would have to be a bit more sloppy with his workmanship, as that is the neatest hole I have ever seen in nearly 30 years on the building sites.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

My pier is on a 1.5 meter square bit of concrete, is that enough?

Also Fay, get some self levelling floor cement to flatten the top works a treat.

Mac

QuoteWe have had a lot of words about size & my requirements, but John was adamant it only needs to be 2' and no more.
:o
DING DONG.

Looks good though.
How did you manage to dig a nice round hole.
Mine ended up square.

Anyway

Just a quick question chris.

is the base of your pier isolated from the floor?
Just curious regarding the vibration from walking on the concrete will cause the pier to vibrate.

Rocket Pooch

yup 1" gap all the way around, but to be honest the pier is 75kg and its bolted to the floor, I have kicked it and there is no movement...

MarkS

Wow - exciting stuff Fay!

Bet you are looking forward to using it.

Mark

JohnP

QuoteI would be interested to see a real direct comparison between a tripod image and a pier mounted image.  I suspect us mere mortals will not be able to distinguish

Mick - big advantage of pier is that you can accurately polar align/ drift align it & it will stay there & of course don't need to drag mount in & out every night after imaging..

Fay - Are you planning on leaving your scopes out all the time? Have you thought about covers etc.?

John

Fay

John,

I will only leave the mount out. I left scopes out the other night, but in the morning ED80 was really misted over.

I will get a proper cover, they are very expensive, but wonder if any will prevent dew going up the bottom staying on the inside.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Do you think the whole pier should be covered, or only the mount & what is attached?

Tony G

Fay,

With the amount of stuff that the foxes chew, nick and urinate on, I would take the pier in every night, not just the mount, and put a cover over the concrete base and cover that with bramble, as that seems the only plant you don't have in your garden, to disguise it from the foxes.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Know what you mean, Tony, he has already peed down the hole!!!!!!!! :lol:

Fay

Pier has been put temporarily on base & all is level.  Perhaps next week the holes will be drilled for the bolts & the resin put in for the bolts to be screwed in  to.

Just took this picture, base & top level with spirit level

JohnP

Fay - that doesn't look level to me.......

RobertM

Yes I agree John.  Fay, you'd best check the base and pier with a spirit level.

Fay

Just done it again with spirit level, top & base, & all is level, must be the angle I have taken photo

Ian

Fay, I think your plants aren't growing straight. I'd check them with a spirit level if I were you...