• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cygnus Wide field

Started by RobertM, Jun 14, 2009, 16:18:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This was taken on May 29th from Minster on the Isle of Sheppey.  Conditions weren't the best which has shown up as a loss of contrast.

Taken with a 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar at f/4 and the EOS 450D on the Astrotrac and camera tripod.  I just went to bed left and it running.  16 x 180s at ISO 800 no filters.

I've tried to get the head and feet in and have just caught the lower portion of the North America nebula and the Pelican.  It's an unmodified camera so I wasn't expecting much.  After stacking and calibaration in MaximDL with flats, two iterations of DDP were applied and mild curves and levels in PS.

Full (bin 2 x 2) version: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3384/3624723197_9198d57124_o.jpg

Robert

Fay

Robert, I am so amazed at the amount of stars here. Your little Astrotrac is a bonus!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Daniel

Wonderful image Robert, I can just see North american nebula and Pelican jutting in from the left hand side, how heavy are AstroTracs? I might be heading to the Himalayas next year some time and would love to take something portable I could feasably lug up a mountain.

Daniel
:O)

RobertM

Hi Daniel,  Thanks for the comments.  The AT is quite light, the X version is hollowed out so is even lighter (2lbs) I think.  The problem is that it's all the extras you need that push the weight up - sturdy tripod/pan tilt head/ball head which all add up.  AT are now doing the complete kit inc. a very nice pier 'at a price'.  Everything fits in the hollow pier which has a carry tube and shoulder strap.  Mine all in with the camera and lens on board can easily be carried one handed.