• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

290509 Members Night

Started by Fay, May 29, 2009, 08:15:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Really enjoyed last nights meeting, really interesting talks. I am inspired to read up on Voyager
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

I enjoyed Luke's talk. Very entertaining.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Luke, such an intelligent & interesting talk from one so young

Ian

I thought Luke was a natural :)

Much better than that bloke banging on about some blinged-up 70s disco record that no-one listens to.

I've got to say, that passage by Carl Sagan gets me every time. I just wish there was a way to get it understood by everyone on this mote caught in a sunbeam. Once we astronomers get past our fetishistic desire to have the largest tool in the field, that's just about all there is to astronomy.

Oh, and getting drunk.

doug

Last night`s Members meeting was one of the best meetings that we have attended.  Excellent and well presented talk from young Luke ... nice to know that there is some intelligent youth around.... and a couple of very informative talks from Geoff and Mike. 

Let`s have a few more meetings like this .... carry on the good work, chaps, and well done.  And the Heavens Above site is well worth a look at.  Just log in with your own details and tally ho!!

And may we extend our thanks to all at DSC for a most enjoyable Sunday.  It`s a shame that we could not stay for the whole evening but......  :)

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Tony G

Luke,

That was a great talk you did tomorrow, and I will discuss this with you when I see you again last week.  :-?  ;)

Well done.
Quote from: doug on May 29, 2009, 10:28:09
 nice to know that there is some intelligent youth around....    
Thanks Doug  ;)

Well done to the other speakers as well, which meant I never had to remove the lyca leotard from the bag.  :oops:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

Yup good night, all very good, Tony you and I should do and xmas double act, you in the leotard and I'll get the animal skin...

Fay

Tony, shame, I was looking forward to you doing a few back flips & somersaults!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnP

Well what can I say except well done Luke from a proud dad. I'd like to say I taught him it all but I'd be telling lies - The whole presentation was done by Luke & last night was my first time to see it all as well. Aside from the technical stuff top marks to him for offering to stand up & present in front of 50 'odd' adults..  :D

Mike really enjoyed your presentation as well - some interesting facts & figures & well put together/ presented.

Jeff - good job on the asteroids - I really need to try & image one of those sometime - please put your list of the 20 brightest up on the webpage somewhere.

John

Fay

:cry: :cry: :cry: John that was so  nice , bought a tear to my eye

Tony G

Quote from: JohnP on May 29, 2009, 11:42:15
top marks to him for offering to stand up & present in front of 50 'odd' adults..

49 + me, thank you very much.
And not letting him out at night, what's that all about, and only letting him out from under the stairs on 4 times a month.  :-?

John, seriously Luke did you and himself proud last night, and we wait in anticipation for the next installment which should take him no time at all (get it ' no time at all')   :oops:

Chris, I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I can get a leopard skin leotard, as stripes make you look big.  :D

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Rick

Anyone care to write a report about last night's meeting for the website? More than one is fine. Reports on part of the evening are fine too.

Please post them in this thread with a note that they're for the main website, or PM/email them to me...

Sue

I would like to add my thanks to all the speakers, and especially to Luke, for making it such an excellent members evening yesterday.

Jim

Well done to everyone last night. Luke, you gave a very well thought out and informative talk and well done for sticking to time. Just the right style of delivery and we all look forward to hearing more from you. I am constantly amazed by the amount of knowledge and talent within the club. I personally would always prefer to listen to a member talk about what inspires them rather than an invited speaker. I'd be all in favour of having more members evenings in the future if people would like that and would support it by volunteering.

If anyone is interested here's the link to the weekly Voyager update bulletin
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/weekly-reports/index.htm

Rick

Quote from: Jim on May 29, 2009, 13:23:21I'd be all in favour of having more members evenings in the future if people would like that and would support it by volunteering.
I like hearing invited speakers, and think we have enough member evenings in our programme already.  :evil:

Tony G

RobertM

Yes, well done to all the speakers; they were all very interesting indeed.  A special well done to Luke though, that was a very good first presentation, he obviously knows the subject very well and is very enthusiastic about Time Travel.

John, I'm not sure whether you allow Luke on the OAS forum ;) but if not then make sure you pass on all the positive comments !

Robert

FIGHT - Where are the police when you need them !

JohnP

QuoteJohn, I'm not sure whether you allow Luke on the OAS forum  but if not then make sure you pass on all the positive comments !

Hi Robert - Yes Luke has an OAS forum account - I'll make sure he reads all the postive comments - I really appreciate all your praise & I'm sure Luke will be chuffed to bits.

Thks again everyone - John

Delphine

I was looking forward to Luke's talk and I wasn't disappointed.  Well done Luke - I am looking forward to your next one.

Delphine

Ian

actually, I do have one point of critism for Luke.

GET A HAIR CUT! What do you think you are? A 15 year old????

Tony G

Ian,

Luke had already used 3 of his 4 passes for the month of May, so it was either the barbers or the OAS meeting.  :)

By the way if anyone missed the excellent talk by Luke on time travel, it will be shown again last Friday evening.  ;)
(My head is still spinning with the Granny Paradox......................... Sarah Connors had nothing to worry about really, or did she........... there I go again)  :o

Tony G

Astroluke

well basically I LIKE MY HAIR!
QuoteLuke had already used 3 of his 4 passes for the month of May, so it was either the barbers or the OAS meeting.
I only get two passes!
Thanks for the comments, I enjoyed doing it!

Fay

Mac

A very enjoyable evening from all the speakers.

To post a quote from red dwarfs whitehole.  http://www.reddwarf.nildram.co.uk/txt/whitehol.txt

QuoteLISTER: All right then, a time machine.  She can invent a time machine,
  and we could all pick whatever period in history we wanted to live in.

RIMMER: Well, it'll be the nineteenth century for me.  One of Napoleon's
  marshals.  The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general
  of all time and kill Belgians.  Marvellous.

LISTER: What about you, Kryters?

KRYTEN: Well, if I could go anywhere, absolutely anywhere at all in time,
  I think I'd probably choose to go back to a week last Tuesday.

LISTER: Why?

KRYTEN: Don't you remember?  I did all the laundry, and then we watched
  TV.  Wow, we won't see the like of THOSE sorts of days again.

mickw

QuoteTony you and I should do and xmas double act, you in the leotard and I'll get the animal skin...
:o

I'm scared - very, very scared :cry:

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

mickw

Good talks by all and a great evening.

Never heard the Carl Sagan speech before - sort of inspirational and damning.

Not sure why anyone would want to find a haemmoroid in 2013 though.

Luke, great talk for some young git who actually had the balls to stand up and do it - well done
You said you were actually being taught some of this   :o   
Where ?

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

TOny, you & Chris could have done a Stavros & Flatley kind of act!!!! :lol: :lol:

Ian

they were robbed last night. I thought they should have at least made 3rd place. That said, those dancers were fantastic...

Fay

I wanted DIVERSITY to win, thank God the hairy angel didn't!! She is not quite right

Tony G

Fay,
I'm NOT a bloody hairy angel!  :angel:

As for DIVERSITY, I may not be at any future monthly meetings as me and me crew will be challenging dem to a street dance off and I need to practice me moves. NUF SAID!

Tony G

Fay

Miriam

Thanks to Rick, the list of asteroids that Jeff talked about at the members' evening is now on the main website.
Night Sky - Dwarf and Minor Planets.

Looking forward to those time lapse photographs!    :lol: