• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Saturn from Woodlands

Started by Tony G, May 27, 2009, 20:24:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Well, while all of you were taking proper images, (well done everyone, there's some great images taken at Woodlands) I stuck to the webcam, and was guided by my cider bottle, but it did honestly looked a lot clearer at the time I was imaging.
Still managed to get a moon as well at about 2 o'clock (to Saturn that is, not the time it was taken)
I have some more AVI's which I need to look at, but this is just a quick image from 1 of them.

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

well mate, it's considered to be almost impossible to image saturn's moons without burning out the disc. clearly the cider is bringing out the skilled imager in you...

The Thing

Nice pic. When you've done some serious processing on all your AVI's you should have a really nice image.

BTW. I was looking at Saturn just last night. It's not so bright now the rings are edge on so the shading is easier to see as well as the moons. I could make out four (LX90 8" 20mm plossl).

MarkS

Well done Tony!  That's a nice image.  Well defined ring, banding on the planet and even a moon!

Mark

RobertM

Nice one Tony, it should look even better when you get to process some more of those AVI's.

Did you use a Barlow or was it with the camera directly on the back of the scope ?

Fay

Tony, you have done really well, what with all the problems you have had lately, with your telescopes, stopping you from going outside much.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Jim

Really nice Tony. I had my scope up to x300 and have never seen Saturn under such clear conditions.

MarkS

It was very interesting comparing scopes that night (Sunday).  Jim had a rock steady image in his scope whilst Duncan (LX90) and I (C11) had virtually identical shimmering.  After an hour or so, mine had settled down to be rock steady - probably Duncan's as well.

I'm guessing we were both suffering from tube currents because it had been a nice warm day.  I suppose it could have been early evening turblence that affected fat scopes more than thin ones.  Or maybe some combination of both.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Mike

That's the Pros & Cons of Refractors V's Cat's Mark.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Checked on Stellarium and the moon in the image is Titan.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Always good to see planetary images Tony & you did very well getting Titan as well. Keep it up (the imaging that is...) - John