• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

ETX 70 damage.

Started by doug, May 14, 2009, 09:32:41

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

As some people may know, my ETX 70 was damaged at the last public meeting at the BEECHE by unknown children who were spotted, too late unfortunately, moving the tube when it was locked onto the Moon.  Syd has, with difficulty, managed to get it apart and the problem was not shredded gears,as was thought, but a cracked drive motor chassis, which was buried deep within the `scope. Superglue has come to the rescue and we are going to try to re-assemble it this weekend.  So wish us luck.

I think that in the future at the public demonstrations a very careful eye needs to be kept on the members equipment by all of us, not that it wasn`t.  My poor little `scope was an isolated incident, but there you go.  As the song goes ......

"It was just one of those things, just one of those crazy things ........."
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Hi Doug, fingers crossed you can get it going again. 

The topic of equipment being damaged at open evenings was discussed last night and we are planning to make some changes to help decease the risk to members equipment.  I am sure Jim will fill in the details.

Carole

JohnP

Quotedecease the risk

blimey Carole sounds like you are planning on killing everyone's equipment....! :-)

doug

Further to my previous post about the ETX70 ......... Bruvver-in-lor Syd and I spent three hours on Sunday morning repairing the `scope; he doing the clever stuff and me doing the observing.  Seems to be the only observing I might be doing with this particular `scope, but lo and behold .......  it all went back together and it all rotates and spins around.  We did a table test, convincing it that it was going to look at things and it seemed to work okay, but I shall have to give it a star test when they emerge again from the clouds.  This.... is a never ending story, people.   :twisted:

Rick

Glad to hear you've made some progress. Hope it all works well.

Jim

Well done Doug, so much for Telescope's House "It's unrepairable" attitude!

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

doug

Superglue`s an amazing stuff; if youv`e got a broken `scope it just makes it tough

The computer in the `scope has gone unsound, it just spins the `scope around and around.

The initializing thingy just won`t respond, the star it`s seeking seems not to be there

but I know it is and I just despair!!

It`ll work again, of that I`m sure.  I hope it does....... or it goes on the floor !!!!!!!   :twisted:

mickw

Doug, if the motor turns the scope OK manually, it's just the goto that, er doesn't, I would guess that scope software just needs rebooting/resetting.

This may be one of those times that all men fear - Get the instructions out  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Maybe a reflash of the firmware.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

It's worse than I thought...........................

Get the instructions out and READ THEM  :( :( :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

doug

Took the scope outside with the idea of retraining it, as per the book.  Set it all up, went throught the initialising procedure as per the book, got through eventually to the menu for "Training the telescope", as per the book, got to the part where you have to center the object ... as per the book .... and the b****y arrow keys would not respond.  So started the whole procedure again, several times, all to no avail.  :cry:  So we went indoors, put it all away and had a cup of tea.

I think that the handset computer has gone AWOL.  We tried washing it in the sink with sulphuric acid  . the handset, that is, ... but all to no avail.

I`m glad that I now have a different telescope to play with ...............

...... oh, gawd!!!!!!!!!!! 

Mac

Just out of question,
If the mechanics of your scope are now kerfutten.
whats happening to your OTA?

Would you be interested in selling it?

doug

We have been in touch with Capt. James T. Kirk, and he suggested that we send it to Galifreay for the Doctor to have a look at it.......

I thought it would drive us potty......

I`ll let you know, Mac.  At the moment Rose may use it as a manual scope without the handset, but we will have to see.  Thanks for the enquiry, though.

Doug   .......  I think??!!??  ;)