• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

B355 - Part of NGC7000 the North America Nebula

Started by RobertM, Apr 29, 2009, 21:55:39

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Have processed this to try and bring out the dark dust lanes so this version is a bit over stretched.  Could also have done with some more subs but dawn beckoned.

4 x 1200s Ha sub exposures from Kelling combined in MaximDL and processed in PS.
Sky90@f4.5 SXV-H9 and Astronomik 13nm Ha filter.

Thanks
Robert

Ian

blimey, nice image. Part of a mosaic maybe?

MarkS

Excellent image Robert.  You have lots of detail in there and good sharp stars. 

I can't believe you did 20 minute exposures without trailing out in a field!  How did you perform your polar alignment?

Mark

RobertM

Ian, NGC7000 is very large so I'm not sure about a mosaic as it would take a few weeks even with clear skies.  Would make a good project for DSC, combined with a couple of DSLR shots for colour...now there's a thought !

Stars in the bottom right are still a little out of focus but hopefully after regreasing and adjusting the focuser (found a key set screw) last night it will be better next time.

Mark, Polar alignment is via the polar scope.  In fact I was doing some tests last night with PoleAlignMax and the Polar scope gets me to within 1 arc min as well as being much quicker.  Unfortunately the Cherry tree in the next garden is starting to obscure Polaris so I have to start doing it a different way soon (hence the trial of PAM).

Fay

Very nice Robert, Cygnus is coming around again, all those lovely nebulae!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Didn't like that image (followed someone elses processing advice) so I've deleted it and done it the way I normally do.  I hope you think it's better and more natural looking!

Ian

I'd say that one's a mite oversharpened, but I can't compare it to the previous one, you've deleted it...

RobertM

You're right it does and I didn't need to do it so much ... Mk3 is on the horizon ...

Daniel

Nice image Robert, although I agree, it's a tad oversharpened. Do you use drizzle with your stacking, or is this the resolution your camera gives you, looks great, I've just sorted out my tax woes, so my mind is turning to astro camera's again!

Daniel
:O)

RobertM

Hi Daniel, That is native resolution, no drizzle or any other resampling was used.  It is undersampled though at about 3.4 arcsec/pixel but there isn't much I can do about that apart from drizzle and there weren't enough subs for that.

A new camera - that's going to be a tricky choice unless your pockets are very deep !

Daniel

If only there was a chip the size of the MX25C in Mono, that would be perfect for me, anything bigger than that, vignettes a bit too much on the Hyperstar.

Daniel

RobertM

What you mean like the QHY9 or QSI 8300, FLI-8300 etc ?

Daniel

Oh, errrrrm, yes those would be good!  :oops:

Hmmm, the QHY is looking good (and cheaper than the rest)

Daniel