• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M17 Omega (Swan) Nebula

Started by A.S.I.G.N_Baz, May 01, 2009, 09:02:24

Previous topic - Next topic

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

'Twas a perfect night last night. I had a lovely family come to look at the heavens through the telescope, preceded by a laser-guided tour of the sky, followed by a bit of a photographic slide show and explanation of the life of stars.

After they left, the moon set and the sky remained clear, crisp, cold and sharp. Upper atmospherics were pretty stable and there was not a cloud or even suggestion of dew point being reached for the entire night.

I set the camera for a few 15 minute darks and left to watch a companionable movie with my wife while my target got up above the horizon. The movie finished an I got straight into it. No sleep on a night like that! Many layers of clothing, a beanbag, blanket and settled in for the night.

As dawn broke, i switched to taking flats of the evenly lit pre-dawn sky and packed it all up.

I got 22 x 15-minute exposures all up on the nebula. That's 5.5 hours total. I'm pretty chuffed to get that much data in one night. Last time it took me a week to get that much between clouds...

I locked it up, cooked my lovely wife some brekky and a cuppa before waking her, then sat down and enjoyed the treat with her (no mad rushing around this time) and off we wandered to work. Who says astronomy is bad for family life?....Though I reckon I will crash and burn later this afternoon...lol.

JohnP

Sounds like you had a great night... bliss.... Can't believe you can go to work after an all nighter.... :-(

Great image as well - John

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Quote from: JohnP on May 01, 2009, 09:09:05
Sounds like you had a great night... bliss.... Can't believe you can go to work after an all nighter.... :-(

Great image as well - John
Thanks John, yeah, it's tough mate....I did it again last night too, but the Lord has seen fit to cover the sky with clouds tonight so I get some rest..... ;)

Baz