• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Quick animation of todays prominence

Started by Daniel, May 02, 2009, 22:12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi All, just a quick animation of todays prominence, this isnt too good on account of clouds and poor seeing making the image both noisy and blurry. That said, it's a cool Prom, so It has to be seen so, here it is!

Daniel
:O)

MarkS

Daniel,

That is stunning - just like your previous animation.

Do you know what causes the "banding" that appears to move through the sequence?

Mark

Daniel

Hi Mark, i did read about this somewhere, can't find the article now, It's to do with the etalon and how it tunes out certain photons coming in, seems to do it in these strange waves, not normally a problem for a still as there hard to notice, but you definitely notice them in an animation.

I think the effect is made worse by atmospheric conditions too, so this one is worse that normal being shot through light cloud.

I shall try to track down the article

Daniel

RobertM

Daniel, you're getting quite good at those animations and the definition is really good but it's certainly noticable when the clouds go over.  I assume that you did the animation in PS, how many frames make up the gif ?

Daniel

This gif was only 13 frames, which is as much as I could get before the really thick cloud rolled in. The frames are first stabilized in Shake (because im using a busted CG5 which constantly jumps and has to be re-centered between each frame) Then I've made actions in photoshop to fix the contrast and colourize.

Daniel

RobertM

Daniel

Hi Robert, Shake is a compositing package http://www.apple.com/shake/, most films these days are compositited on it, the tracking and stabilization stuff in it is excellent and really easy to use.

Daniel

RobertM

Hmmm, I'm not sure it's in my league :(  Though I might consider it if I want to produce my own block buster movie in the future, assuming it would still fit in my tight production budget that is ;) 

Daniel

Hehehe, you'd have no problem wuth it, I still haven't got to grips with Maxim!