• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

£10 Telescope

Started by Whitters, Dec 08, 2003, 06:03:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Saturn's rings observed through my £10 scope. The scope was a 200mm f3.5 Tamron lens I bought from e-bay for £10. There were a couple of dings on the inner surfaces so not much good for photography. However a bit of wood, plastic tube, electrical tape and glue, and I have a wide field telescope. giving a 7deg field with a 18mm eyepice. Using a 20mm eyepice and a 5x barlow the rings of Saturn are easy. I'll bring it to the next observing session.

Ian

ten quid when you don't include the 200 quid powermate :wink:

sounds fun, I look forward to seeing it

Whitters

:grin:
You wern't supposed to spot that :wink:

[ This Message was edited by: Whitters on 2003-12-07 22:29 ]

Mike

Where's the image?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Was it by any chance on a £400 mount :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: csuddell on 2003-12-08 17:38 ]

Mike

I think you mean £1400 !!!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

So that's :-

£     10 lense
£    200 Eyepiece
£  1,400 Mount
£     80 Filters ?
£     60 battery pack
--------
£ 1,750

Ian, don't tell the wife about the £ 10 telescope :smile:

It's allways strange how hobbies add up.

Rocket Pooch

Paul,

Did you use and adaptor to get the lens onto the barlow and eyepiece?  

I have a few camera lenses of 300mm+ focal length and wondered how I would get an eyepiece on one?  Or was this a m42 threaded version?

Can you let me know.

Whitters

Hi Chris,
I think that you can buy adaptors for M42 thread lens.
However mine was bodged with a bit of wood like a polo which will be glued to the back of the lens, a short pice of plastic plumbing waste pipe, long enough to reach focus. Then to get the inner dimension of the waste pipe the right size I wrapped electrical tape round a 35mm film pot. Then lashings of epoxy glue and more electrical tape and there you have it.

Mike

What is this.... Blue Peter ???!!!

Whitters

Sorry forgot... and a pair of Val's knickers
Get down Shep!

Rocket Pooch

So next week are you building a pond or training for a parachute jump?

Or should it be a festive coat hangger based christmas arrangement.