• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Anoying M3

Started by Rocket Pooch, Apr 20, 2009, 00:12:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Just come in after trying M3 with my repaired guide cam and the Sphinx.

To be honest this is crap, although you won't see it in the final image, not a single frame was devoid of drift, I think my mount it over correcting on guide pulses, either that or some mirror movement or something.

Anyway, it its clear later this week I'll try the mount again and change the guide rates, or use the EQ6 again (if that fixes it the Sphinx is going for sale :-( ).

Anyway 20x3 minute CLS filtered 6" F5 & Baader Coma corrector.

Fay

There is not a lot time when we have no problems, Chris, & not a lot of clear skies to find them out beforehand!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

I actually think it was not guiding at all, and sod's law is I don't think I'm going to find out whats going on soon with the new drivers for my guide camera!

Dam!!!

RobertM

Can't comment on the image because I can't see it from this client's site but I guess the Sphinx wasn't up to scratch as I saw it on Astro buy and sell !  before you sell it don't rule out the conditions.  I had incredibly bad guide corrections for periods last night whereas the night before it was nearly ten times better .

btw what were your background counts for each sub with the CLS.

JohnP

Chris - I'm confused I thought you told me Sphinx PE was a lot better than EQ6....? What's the issue with the Sphinx? What has changed since last DSC when you took the Rosette & HH images???

John

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Rob, just trying the water thats all, they are over £2000 new now so I thought I'd see if anyone was interested.  My background ADU was 6800 for this image, very orange last night.

John, yes it is +7-6, but thats why I'm convinced it was not guiding at all last night, the drivers for the QHY6 have changed to ASCOM Drivers and they do not seem great, I know its not the scopes because its the same setup as with Lydd, the mount I have done many 10 minute subs using the old Drivers and a different cable, but my laptop went lala so I reloaded everything and I think its a software problem.  Now at +- 13 I should get 2 Minute subs and there were only 4 which were really bad, so I think the guiding was not working at all, there is an easy way to find out, I'll point the thing at a star and ask AA to centre it, that will prove if its working or not.

The baader coma corrector is brilliant, can you see the stars at the edge they are perfect :-)

Chris

P.S. I still really like the mount its soo cool, but I keep swapping between two systems and its getting to me :-(

RobertM

Right, at home I can see it now.  It looks perfectly ok to me ... and nice round stars to boot.