• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

kelling heath 23 - 26 April

Started by Carole, Mar 28, 2009, 19:12:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

CAN I ASK THOSE WHO ARE GOING TO REMIND THEMSELVES OF THE RULES WHICH YOU CAN FIND ON THE KH WEBSITE.

LOOKS LIKE I WON'T BE GOING NOW IN THE CIRCUMSTANCES. 

CAN'T DRIVE AND DOUBT I COULD MANAGE BEING IN A TENT.  CERTAINLY WON'T BE ABLE TO TAKE MY OWN EQUIPMENT, SO VERY DISAPPOINTED.

AT LEAST I WON'T BE MISSING MIKE'S TALK AT THE MONTHLY MEETING PROVIDED I CAN GET A LIFT OFF SOME-ONE.

CAROLE

Delphine

I am sorry you won't be able to come with us to Kelling Heath Carole.  We will miss you.  If you change your mind we can help you put up your tent or you could share ours.  Can't give you a lift though as we only have a tiny ford KA!  Delphine

Sue

Carole,  You would be welcome to travel to Norfolk with me and Roy.

Carole

DESPITE MANY GENEROUS OFFERS OF HELP,  I THINK IT IS TOO COMPLICATED FOR ME TO COME TO KELLING HEATH.

I RANG KH AND CHANGED MY BOOKING FOR 17 - 20TH SEPTEMBER.  SO DOES ANY-ONE WANT TO COME WITH ME?

THERE IS NOW A PITCH AVAILABLE FOR APRIL IF ANY-ONE REGRETS NOT BOOKING.

CAROLE

RobertM

So who's going to Kelling this weekend ?

Me...

MarkS

I'm booked to go but may or may not be able to make it.  Might get up there in time for Friday evening or Saturday evening.

Mark

Carole

Those booked are:

Delphine and Ian
Sue and Roy
Carole
Doug and Rose and Syd
Mark
Robert

Fay was trying to go but my vacant pitch seems to have been taken, don't know whether Fay could utilise Mark's pitch if he doesn't make it, though being a last minute decision seems a bit complicated.

Carole

Fay

Carole, I was resigned to not going & thought that was a good job as I go to Spain the week after, I forgot it was that soon. I also have a speed awareness lesson to do on Thursday. I am really upset & would love to have gone.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Apr 21, 2009, 12:16:04.......speed awareness lesson to do on Thursday.....

What?! You got caught speeding??

How on earth did YOU manage that ?!!!   :o
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I have no street cred, Mike. 36 in a 30 mph area!

I could have held my head up if it had been 60mph!!!

mickw

36 ?  :roll:

6/10 
Must try Harder.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

QuoteI have no street cred, Mike. 36 in a 30 mph area!

you could have got off scott free.

You should have told them that the speed you were doing was not 36mph and was actually less,
and asked them to re-calculate the speed from the road markings.

As soon as the gatso has detected your speed by radar it takes two pictures 0.5 seconds apart.
and overlays the radar speed on to the photos.
Most people on seeing the first flash hit their brakes, which slows them down.

As yours was right on the limit of current ACPO guidelines.
by the time the second picture was taken you would have probably slowed down enough for your speed
to be under the limit for prosecution.

As this speed is bang on the current ACPO guidelines they wouldn't have wasted the man hours,
and would have dropped the case, anything above 40mph, they normally recalculate for you.

Rhondas was 36 in a 30 yet the calculations from the road markings show it was actually 33.5.
speed = distance / time.

The measurments show clearly that she traveled 7.5m in 0.5s.

dont forget though, even though you are on the speed awareness course and dont get any points this time round,
it like a suspended sentence.
If you get done again in the next 3 years, you get the original speeding points.
as well as the new ones.

Mac.

Sorry for the Hijack. :police:

Fay

That's all cheered me up Mac! I am bound to do it again. I knew I should have contested it. I did not see a flash

Delphine

Quote from: RobertM on Apr 20, 2009, 22:45:10
So who's going to Kelling this weekend ?

Me...

We will be arriving sometime on Thursday afternoon

Sue

We are aiming to set off mid/late morning. All being well should be there by mid afternoon. Roy is searching for our OS maps of the area, not been up there for 7 or 8 years!

MarkS

It now looks as if I may be able to get there late Friday afternoon.  Failing that, it will be Saturday.

Mark

RobertM

That's good news.  I will be arriving on Friday afternoon too, would like to travel up Thursday evening but I've too much work on.

MarkS

Who will be first to arrive?  Please will you let us know if the entrance is too muddy to drive through  :)

Mark