• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

USB Hub connections

Started by Fay, Mar 26, 2009, 09:49:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

you can get USB repeaters like this. Apparently you can use up to 5 daisychained http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Active-Repeater-Extension-Cables/dp/B000IM9AG0

These draw power from the bus and they are only one USB connection, so you might need to run several. That's why Mac's plan is better as far as cables run are concerned. It does have other difficulties though, such as remote control software and setting up. A compromise either way.

RobertM

Hi Fay,

I did go through nightmares with USB hubs but it was XP that ended up being the culprit in the end, I certainly don't want to go through that again.

My setup now appears to work a treat and is as follows:

Everything scope side plugs into a powered 7 port USB2 hub, each port is individually labeled with what plugs into it.  I make sure that I plug each item into exactly the same port each time, that way XP doesn't have a chance of getting it wrong.

The powered hub connects to the laptop (in the summer house) via 12m of USB cable (2m  + 5m active extender + 5m).  Again I only ever plug it into the same LT port.

Mike could have a point about noise but what else is there to do.  I'm not sure whether the H9 camera is USB2 but full frame downloads take about 3-4s.

The Hub is a 2 years old now, it's a Dlink and they still make it - http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=534C&CategorySelectedId=11128&InMerch=1
btw. I bought mine from PC World but I can't seem to find it on their web site.

Hope this helps but if you need anything then just shout.
Robert

Ian

you won't see noise introduced by the USB in the image as we're used to, but it can cause retransmissions, dropped frames and connection difficulties.

Mac

QuoteIt is too far away.

A lan cable is far far cheaper then buying long usb cables.
you can get a 100m Lan cable quite easily,

As for the remote software its already built in to windows.
Its called remote desktop.

All you do is log on to your laptop from the desktop, and its the same as if you are sitting at the laptop.

You dont have to install any other software.
The only thing you need to do is to make sure you have a password set on the remote (laptop) computer
as if there isn't one set you cant logon.

RobertM

I should add that the USB extenders are only to get to the LT in the summer house and that's the only reason I use such long cables. The LT is controlled from the house via Remote desktop and Powerline adaptors.  Taking control via Remote desktop only works if you have XP Pro otherwise you have to look at alternatives like UltraVNC (free).