• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

I think there must be a PC virus going around!

Started by Fay, Jan 26, 2009, 19:31:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I think the cooler comes on automatically with Starlight cameras. I don't think you can turn it on or off.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Quote from: Ian on Jan 27, 2009, 10:50:39Flashing firmware is just about the only task I do on computers that still gives me sweaty palms...

I remember bricking my Compaq PDA once updating the firmware as the cat jumped on the cable and knocked it out mid-flash  :o
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

QuoteI thought all this downloading of driver s etc was ok. Is it risky to equipment if done wrong?

Fay - that's why I said.....      I don't want to be responsible for screwing up your 314L

Mac

QuoteI thought all this downloading of driver s etc was ok. Is it risky to equipment if done wrong?

Fay - that's why I said.....      I don't want to be responsible for screwing up your 314L

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bricked

JohnP

:lol: :lol: :lol:

'Bricked' now that's a new technical term I have learnt today....

Fay

Oh crikey, another sleepless night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope I have not done anything else wrong.

Mac, while you are around, why does my desktop not shut down straight away & I have to end task about 10 times & no, I do not want to send error report, 10 times & hourglass sits around for a long time?

Laptop does this lately, as well

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

well your desktop and or laptop should take no longer then about a min to shut down,
This is beacuse once you select shut down, it starts doing all its house keeping, by closing all the open files so that you dont have any data loss,

windows will normall wait for prohgrams to end, but if after a specific time they havent closed, it will pop up the not responding alert.

However, if you have to end task for specific programs, its normally because they have crashed, or theres a problem with them,
the causes are many and widespread, so its not normally that easy to say its one thing specifically.

If its a constant problem, with the same program, try reinstalling them, if that dosent cure it,
have a look at getting a file monitor from www.sysinternals.com to monitor the program that is not responding,
it will tell you which files it is accessing and you shuld be able to work out which ones are causing the problems.

It is a common problem with windows operating system.

Mac.

Fay

Thanks for that Mac, I think the desktop needs a computer laxtive, to give it a clear out!!!!!!!!

I will be a bit more patient with it, when doing various things.

Fay

I came back from shopping, came back & desktop would not sign on, wheras it had been ok when I went out.
The "programme not responding" box named the following programs in succession, which I had to "end" a couple of times each.

ccSvcHst

IMApp.ex

DDE server window.

Does anyone recognise these, please?

Fay

I ran that program, you suggested, Mac. I seemed to have a lot of BUFFER OVERFLOW entries. Not that I understand what I am looking at. the IMApp.exe, is my mail program Incredimal.

Hope I do not have a virus.

Mac

Fay im on paterinity leave from sunday for 3 weeks, i can pop over and take a look if you want.
we can sort or your pc problems if you want

Fay

JohnP

QuoteFay im on paterinity leave from sunday for 3 weeks, i can pop over and take a look if you want.
we can sort or your pc problems if you want

Surely you're meant to be spending that time bonding with your new born & helping out the wife etc. etc. I don't suppose you planned paternity leave to coincide with DSC & Astrofest perchance???  :lol: :lol:

Only joking, John..

Mac

QuoteI don't suppose you planned paternity leave to coincide with DSC & Astrofest perchance???

Err, Guily as charged :oops:  ;)  :lol:

Mike