• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Computer Restore Point

Started by Fay, Mar 01, 2009, 10:17:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I am thinking of doing a System Restore back about 3 months.

I know that all files, data, images etc will not be deleted, but what can I expect to change on the program & download  front?

Would it not save my Norton 2009 or any Windows Updates etc?

I know I can undo restore if I do not like the results. I have to go back that far as I have not set up my own restore points & will have to have the computer dates which are about 1 every month.

Thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

that's a long time to go back Fay. Why?

Fay

My desktop has been playing up for a long time, I should have restored earlier, but thought it was a glitch. It has been going on for about 2 months, but I will have to use the computer' s auto restore as I did not make any personal restore points myself.

Ian

what's it doing? I'm not convinced going back that far with system restore is a good idea. I've only used it to fix short term problems, like an update that broke something. You'd have to reinstall all the software and updates that you've added since the restore point, assuming that the roll-back actually worked.

Fay

It keeps freezing, the fan starts whizzing as if it is going to take off!! It does not like me to download a lot of picture files. eg copy APOD onto desktop images.
Photoshop often freeezes when opening an image. I have to put image onto memory stick & can do it from there, or take image from image card, put onto memory stick & then onto computer. Will not open image direct from memory cards or from online site.

It happens on line & off. It seems better in the mornings. When it freezes I have to shut down all the programs & when they are finally closed & fan stops, keep pressing cancel when box's come up with....imapp.exe, DDE Server window & ccsvchst.

It can be working ok & then I disappear for  half hour, come back & press mail button & nothing happens, same with internet connection. So habe to shut down & start again even though nothing was wrong when I left it.

I have hoovered the dust out, visited PC World, whose only suggestion was a complete system restore, which is ok if you only have 2 programs on it, bit drastic for me as it may not be needed.

I've waffled a bit here, Ian, but tried to think of everything.
Thanks,

Fay

Ian

for a change, I think the PC World bloke might be on the money if it's that broken. Having said that, you might as well try to roll back, but be prepared to have to do a full restore if it goes wrong, which I think it might well do. I would describe using system restore to go back 3 months as pretty drastic too :)

You will lose all windows updates and other software installed or updated since the restore point, so expect to have to reinstall Norton. Also plan on spending several hours pulling down and installing all of the windows updates afterwards too. Although system restore shouldn't affect any images or so on, I'd recommend backing them up anyway (which is always a good idea, hard drives can die without warning).

I'd aim at doing it about a week before a full moon...

Mac

Before you do that,
do a Ctrl Alt Del and have a look at what is taking all your CPU time,
thats why the fan keeps cutting in and the PC is on a go slow.

I bet my bottom dollar that you will find its one of the
SVCHOST.EXE
that is running at 100%

If so. You probably have some sort of spware / malware problem,

Get hold of these pieces and install them.
BOTH OF THEM ARE FREE!!!! DO NOT PAY FOR THEM!!!!

Adaware.
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Spybot
http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Update both of them and then run the software,
these should get rid of 99% of the problems. (assuming it is spyware).

Mike

Sure sounds like some kind of xxxware is running in the background and eating all the resources to me.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I have been doing what Mac advised & will see how it goes

Rick

Quote from: Mac on Mar 01, 2009, 14:45:37
I bet my bottom dollar that you will find its one of the
SVCHOST.EXE
that is running at 100%

If so. You probably have some sort of spware / malware problem,
...or McAfee. It's *l*o*y hopeless at gobbling CPU when it's doing updates...

Ian

it does, as will Norton.

Fay, you've done a backup, haven't you?

Fay

Yes I have backed up, but the desktop has another hard drive, so it is still on the same computer.