• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Waste of time last night

Started by Fay, Feb 01, 2009, 11:08:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Tried the Horsehead with the Canon, last night. Everything went ok setting up etc. Did 25x300, & it is complete rubbish.

Gradients, amp glow, vertical banding, you name it, I got it! I cannot bring out any detail. I think I should not have used the Focal Reducer, as the HH is too small. Next door made a cup of coffee & then left 75 lights on the rest of the night. The sky was very light, & Orion was heading in the direction of  the Moon & next door's kitchen.

Afterwards went to Rosette, it was in very good focus & sky area was not quite so light. I only got 3x300 before clouds rolled in. I stacked the 3 with darks, flats etc & it would have been a better image than the HH. I could not do more than 300secs & the subs were a very light pink anyway. I know 300s is not long enough for nebulae.

Thanks for your help, Chris.

Fay 
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

I added another 20X 5mins to the Jelly - I now have something like 50 frames... My longest image ever... Will try & process later...

Fay

I just restacked HH. It came out a bit better, better than first time & not so long. It is still nothing to wrote home about. I have used noels actions etc. I think it is too small, using fr & too noisy, but sky was very light. Hope your jellyfish is much improved, although it was good anyway. At least Gemini was in a better position for imaging.

MarkS

Agreed, conditions were not at all good last night.  I also tried to get some Horsehead data using the Canon and the CLS filter.  I got 30 frames before the clouds rolled in but they are very noisy - in fact I can't even see the HH on each sub - it is drowned out by the background :-(

Mark

Rocket Pooch

your all nuts, I went out froze, thought sod it the skies were only mag3 anyway, came in and watched a file, your mad!

RobertM

I think you'd be better off watching a film or television Chris ! 

Rocket Pooch

Fay

I'm glad about that, Mark, I thought it was me!!

Daniel

I had a crap night too, took the gear out, set up, tried to align and was stopped by my RA grinding to a halt every time it went through the 6 O'clock position, so had to give up and looks like I'll be sending it off to be repaired!

That said, Chris's comment that the skies were only mag 3 made me chuckle, my limiting magnitude here is about 3.4 on a perfect night at zenith.

Daniel
:O)

Fay

Oh, hope you get that fixed quick, Daniel. So all in all a bad night was had by everyone.....................except Chris    :lol:

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Daniel on Feb 01, 2009, 15:34:09
I had a crap night too, took the gear out, set up, tried to align and was stopped by my RA grinding to a halt every time it went through the 6 O'clock position, so had to give up and looks like I'll be sending it off to be repaired!

That said, Chris's comment that the skies were only mag 3 made me chuckle, my limiting magnitude here is about 3.4 on a perfect night at zenith.

Daniel

Whats the mount Daniel?

Also 3.4, that would be nice when the gym lights are on :-) but 3.4 without lights wow you must have really bad pollution.

Daniel

Hi Chris, my mount is a CGE (which turns out is a pain in the arse to get serviced)

On a perfect night I can just about make out the dimmest star in cassiopaea with averted vision which is about mag 3.39!

Daniel

Rocket Pooch

wow how does that mount carry that scope, and wow thats light pollution!

Daniel

Quote from: Space Dog on Feb 01, 2009, 22:46:33
wow how does that mount carry that scope

Not very well apparently!   :P