• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M81 and M82 Re-Process

Started by Daniel, Jan 27, 2009, 21:30:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi All, Just thought I'd post this re-process of my M81 and M82. The thing that bothered me about my last image (and most of my images really) is the loss of star colour through processing. I had another go this time being carefull to retain as much star colour as possible, I also fixed a few things the last image had like the over-sharpening, some gradients and I also found as I was being more cautious with the stars, M82 came out a lot better this time too.

Anyway, here's the re-process

Daniel
:O)

Carole

Lovely Image Daniel, are the stars really that colour?

Carole

RobertM

Superb processing Daniel but I think it looks just a tad too red (could be colour saturation).

Fay

A great image, Daniel. i am thinking that the stars over M81 are a tad oversharpened.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Nice image Daniel but agree with comments above it looks a little red & still a bit too 'over sharpened' to me... I quickly ran it through Astronomy Tools & did a 'Less Crunchy More Fuzzy' & then reduced layer opacity to 50% - In my opinion (which is probably crap) it looks better & doesn't detract from the brilliance of m81 or 82...

John

Daniel

Hmmm, i think you may be right, although there's no sharpening applied to the stars at all, only the DSO's, still it does ssem a little too sharp and now I've looked at it for a while, some of those other stars may be a little too red, maybe if I bring down the red a little those 2 stars near M81 will show up a little more blue (as they should)

Will have another play with it soon

Daniel
:O)