• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Guiding software.

Started by Mac, Feb 04, 2009, 17:56:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Just out of interest, which software do people use?

RobertM

Used to use PHD but a few crashes and a better understanding of MaximDL made me use that.  Others may differ on this but I've always found it the most stable piece of astro software.

Mike

MaximDL - Dead easy.
I also have AstroArt which is also dead easy.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Just to confuse you K3.

Rocket Pooch

AstroArt I would not say its dead easy, but the interface is a lot better than Maxim, but I would not use it with a web cam.

MarkS

Fay

PHD, K3 sometimes, progressing to learning Maxim or Astroart
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

I have used PHD with ASCOM/POTH hub and lately wxAstroCapture which does a good job. I have tried K3CCDTools but find the interface annoying, however it does give you buttons for slewing the scope (as does the POTH hub).

JohnP

So Mac,

What's going to be...

PHD
MaximDL
K3
Astroart
wxAstroCapture

.... I bet you've found this thread really useful in helping you to make a decision.

In my experience you'll probably try lots (I have) & just stick with the one that gives you consistent results.... (until of course it starts playing up & then you'll try a whole load more...) :-) I think that's the way it is with guiding....

John

Mac

QuoteI bet you've found this thread really useful in helping you to make a decision

clear as the night sky :D

As there seems to be no prefered peice of software and im useing maxim at the moment for imaging, ill have a look at using that and see how i get on.
thanks anyway

Mac.

JohnP

Mac

cheers for that ,ill have a read later,
just thinking about stripping the lx200 down to
fit the new metal gear set for the RA and DEC.

as well as the new dec clutch and the new focusing knob and bearings.

But i want to try that collimation mask out first just to see if and how it works.

Rocket Pooch

Stick it on an EQ6!

Oh controversial...

Fay

Very good article john
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!